Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Media Center 2003 problem

When I try to activate TV in Media Center 2003 I get an error that drivers are either missing or corrupted. When I click on TV the little wheel spins and gives an error message, the screen will then freeze. I have tried to restore to a date when it did work but the system will NOT RESTORE. I have Norton Security Suite on the system. I tried disabling auto protect but that failed too. Any help in solving these problems will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 running Windows XP Media Center 2002. My problem is that the TV stopped playing and leaves an error message that the files needed to display video are missing or corrupted. Dvds play as expected. I tried to fix the problem in several ways: reinstalled the video drivers from the Dell Driver Installation disc, reinstalled SP3, ran Norton Disc Doctor where an error came up that there was an error on HD3 and the master partition table is unreadable (Only low level format will correct this problem). I reinstalled my OS several months ago and the tv worked at that time. Any assistance to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

·
Team Manager - Networking , Moderator - Micros
4,078 Posts
Media Center installs on an additional partition in your computer. If that partition is unreadable, that would explain why the software won't run. You probably have file system type errors or a failing hard drive.

You could open a command prompt and type chkdsk /r then select Yes to scan on next reboot. This will check your hard drive/files for errors. Make sure your data is backed up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran chkdsk/r and the Media Center TV still doesn't work. Is there any way to reinstall the missing or corrupted files short of reinstalling the OS?

·
4,078 Posts
I probably should have mentioned to run Chkdsk on the media center partition, too, since you mentioned the error on HD3. Click your Start button and go to Run. Type in diskmgmt.msc and find the drive letter for your media center partition. At a command prompt, type chkdsk X: /R where X is the drive letter for the MC partition.

After that I would go into Device Manager and look for any devices with a yellow exclamation point or the devices you're having a problem with. Either right click on the device and have Windows update the driver automatically, or go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest drivers then install.

You could also try going into Add & Remove Programs in Control Panel. Click the Add/Remove Windows Components icon on the left. See if you can uninstall then reinstall the programs you're mentioning. I don't have a media center computer here to say if those are exact steps, but it should be close.

If your media center partition is corrupt, you would have to do a repair install. This is providing the hard drive is still good. Most of the time if you are getting corrupt MFT errors, it's the sign of a hard drive on its last leg.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably should have mentioned to run Chkdsk on the media center partition, too, since you mentioned the error on HD3. Click your Start button and go to Run. Type in diskmgmt.msc and find the drive letter for your media center partition. At a command prompt, type chkdsk X: /R where X is the drive letter for the MC partition.

I tried to run chkdsk X: /R where X = C drive but I don't know which partition to access. I tried to use 1 for the partition and the response wasn't there. When I used diskmgmt.msc the result was 2 drives shown (C=main internal drive and F=My Book external drive). Drice was listed as partition=main and type is basic while file system is NTFS and the status is healthy. When I clicked on the C drive, I got the folder layout that I got when I went to My Computer and then to the C drive. I am at a loss how to find the proper partition and try to fix it.

·
4,078 Posts
Trivia, sorry, I'm trying to recall from memory since I don't have a Media Center PC available. I thought some Dells had a separate partition. If all you saw in Disk Manager was a C: Drive and your external drive, that's fine.

I'd look into trying to reinstall the TV program you're having problems with. I'm assuming that's part of the Windows Media Center app and not a 3rd party program. You could see if it's in the Windows Components section of Add & Remove programs in Control Panel.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just spent 3+ hours on the phone with Dell in India and didn't get the problem solved. However, prior to speaking with them, I got the following error message:

Media Center Host Module
Error Signature…

EventType: clr20r3 P1:ehrec.exe P2: 5.1.2600.5512 P3: 4802540e P4: ehcir
P5: 6.0.3000.0 P6: 4802a0b8 P7: 12a P8: 50 P9: system.missingfieldexception

Reporting Details…

This error report includes: information regarding the condition of Media Center Host Module when the problem occurred: the operating system version and computer hardware in use; your Digital Product ID; which could be used to identify your license; and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer.

I have no idea where the Media Center Host Module is found.

I wonder if you can make anything of it. If I can't get the problem resolved, I will have to reinstall my OS, again.

·
4,078 Posts
I've tried googling for info on your problem and only found a few pieces of info. I don't have any first hand experience with the errors your getting, so this is a *throwing stuff against the wall and see what sticks approach*. The problem does sound more like errors with the Media Center software & software it interacts with, rather than a bad hard drive, etc.

Some referred to removing a Line Up guide or channel guide and re-creating it.
Here's a link to re-running the Media Center setup (ver 2004, 2005). See if any instructions are similar to yours.

There's also some mention of people using ATI video cards and possibly having conflicts with the catalyst control center software. You could try uninstalling CCC if that applies.

The only other thing I found were some references to the version of Microsoft .Net Franework installed, but that was for older versions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I've tried just about everything with no success. I ran Driver Updater and it found several files it said were bad, none of them had anything to do with TV or video. I downloaded the registered JIT debugger and the NET Framework version 1.1. None of these solved my problem. I guess if I want the TV to work I'll have to reinstall my OS. Thanks anyway for your assistance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.