Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya

I have an old second family machine with ME currently installed.

Its 1GHZ athlon, 256MB pc100 ram, old graphics card (32Mb nvidia tnt model 64).

Id really like to upgrade to winxp but atm the machine is used for games
(labelled 98/me/xp compatible) and just about handles them.

Is winxp signifigantly slower than ME?. I know a lot of services can be turned off but does this strip down pc load signifigantly?. Or am i better off sticking to ME?.

Thanks

Elle

G

·
if it was 98 vs xp i would stick with my 98. but if we are talking about ME i would say anything would be better then ME ( aka mistake edition ) . If you can tweak your xp well you might as well do good with it. Your system meets the minimum requirements. ( all personal opinions )

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
PurpleSky said:
if it was 98 vs xp i would stick with my 98.
Bah! Would you people just let it die already? Let it die! :smile:

A few years ago when 2000 was out (but before XP), I would have probably said the same thing, however, it's just not worth it nowadays, unless you like removing spyware/hijackers on a daily basis, or dealing with the constant crashes. I would only recommend 98 if you installed it on a computer that was not connected to the Internet.

I say stick with XP. It should run fine on the system you have.

As for Windows ME...this is the system that even Microsoft literally has tried to forget. That should tell you something.

G

·
Resolution I did leave it behind a long time ago. If i had his computer i would stick with 98. Would not you ? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No. I'm afraid not. I liked 98, but spyware and browser hijackers ruined it for me, and i'm no rookie when it comes to removing those things. Hell, i'm staring at two 98SE CDs as I type this. It's just not worth it unless your system is void of an Internet connection. :sayno:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Well, you have 256M ram currently that's sufficient to run xp, though it would be better with 512M.

Assuming you have an unused winXP available to install (TSF does not condon illegal use of software) your best bet is to pick up another hard drive (used is okay, 15gig or bigger) and install xp on it, then you can test it and see if it performs to your satisfaction.

Optimally, use the OS that best serves your purpose and runs the best on that pc.

Id really like to upgrade to winxp but atm the machine is used for games
(labelled 98/me/xp compatible) and just about handles them.
Exactly what does this mean? (it's slow?, it freezes?, it's okay?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.