Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am new to this forum.

I have a quick question.

I have never used a Mcafee product, but got a great deal on Virusscan 2009 and plan to install it later this week. I have always used Norton Antivirus, and currently use their 2005 version.

What should I expect? Will Mcafee 2009 be any harder on resources than Norton 2005?

Also, I have heard (of course after I bought the product) that if Mcafee detects a virus, that you have to pay before the virus can be removed. Is this true???

Also, if it compatible with ie8?

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Well if it is a fake program then yes you have to pay to remove a virus. I haven't used the 09 version of McAfee but it doesn't get good reviews. Expect the same amount of a performance footprint. When i was using it i had a lot of compatibility issues with other programs, not to mention that it seemed to be incompatible with itself.

I would recommend getting the 09 version of Norton, it is a million time better than past versions. Hardly leave a footprint at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mcafee must really be a pain in the butt after searching these forums. Surely SOMEONE out there has had good luck with them or they would be a shrinking company. They seem as popular as they ever were.

Well, maybe I will just stick with Norton or go with AVG Free. I have heard that AVG leaves lots of useless files in your registry if it removes a virus, and also if a virus is found, it gives you the options on what to do but don't really tell you what you should do, or the pros and cons of deleting, quarantine, etc. How true all this is I don't know???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did have some trouble registering the product, but believe it or not McAfee cust. service got me sorted out rather quickly via their Chat service.

As for system resources, I don't see what the big gripe is about. It really doesn't seem to be that bad on resources to me. Definitely no worse than Norton's.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I did have some trouble registering the product, but believe it or not McAfee cust. service got me sorted out rather quickly via their Chat service.

As for system resources, I don't see what the big gripe is about. It really doesn't seem to be that bad on resources to me. Definitely no worse than Norton's.
Actually, compared to Norton's 09 version it is a lot worse for system resources.

I never had good experiences with their customer service, mainly because as soon as something would be fixed (which took like a minimum of 2 days). It would break again a week later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, compared to Norton's 09 version it is a lot worse for system resources.

I never had good experiences with their customer service, mainly because as soon as something would be fixed (which took like a minimum of 2 days). It would break again a week later.
Well, I was comparing it to the most recent Norton Antivirus I have used, which was the 2008 version.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just my own tales here.

I had Norton once upon a time, like maybe 9 years ago. Hated it, removed it and installed McAfee virus scan and firewall and never looked back, moving to the full security suite soon afterwards. Worked well on ME and XP home.

A couple of years back I dutifully bought my renewal to install on several PC's in the home, forced on me by the purchase of my new Vista laptop. My current version, 2007, didn't like Vista... So I got 2008 and... vista didn't like it. Neither did my XP desktop though not as bad.

Problems were constant blue screen startups and McAfee corrupting itself on some restore point rollbacks.

System usage was even worse. It tied up even more ram than I remember and I used to like McAfee for the lower system footprint.

Right now I use Kaspersky but I hear good things about system footprint for Norton 09 and 360 v3. But after many years use I am really put off by McAfee for a long while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.