Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new PC...came with 15 months McAfee subs. I have automatic updates enabled yet it doesnt seem to be updating.

When I go to update manually it requires IE ( and I use firefox). Thats ok. I switch to IE and it asks to copy and paste a URL and then log in etc etc...then IE blocks an Active COntrolX so I click on it to run it and nothing happens ????

Surely updating the AV cant be this difficult ??

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
McAfee VirusScan from OSU SLS comes pre-configured to automatically update the virus definition files on a regular basis. If this feature has been disabled, or the machine has not been connected to the Internet when McAfee has tried to update, it is possible to manually update the virus definition files.

McAfee VirusScan 7.x/8.0:

1. Connect to the Internet.
2. Right Click on the V-Shield icon in the system tray by the clock.
3. when the menu comes up, click on Update Now...
4. McAfee will automatically update itself to the most recent virus definition files.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya but when I click on update now it opens up MCafee homepage and gets me to log in etc etc to update

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think with McAfee you have to register before you will get any updates. Have you gone to their registration page and given them your life's story yet? I would also recommend when your trial subscription runs out, get something else besides McAfee or Norton. Perhaps Nod32, BitDefender, Kaspersky, or AVG 7.5?

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you have a valid McAfee subscription it may be asking you to verify - or upgrade form V10 to V11 A/V software. Truth is though - that according to the few A/V test labs I trust AVG detection is a hair better over the latest 07' MvAfee detections and it sure it much lighter on the PC's resources.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think with McAfee you have to register before you will get any updates. Have you gone to their registration page and given them your life's story yet? I would also recommend when your trial subscription runs out, get something else besides McAfee or Norton. Perhaps Nod32, BitDefender, Kaspersky, or AVG 7.5?
I HAVE registered with them already. Also, its not a trial I have...its the purchased version. I got some updates this m orning to the firewall but the AV index is still not going green in the Interface.

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
It seems you need to take it up with McAfee because its a problem with their side of things. I've never experienced this problem whenever I've had McAfee. To me it sounds like your last McAfee update was faulty an has caused this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks bud....maybe I'll get onto them so and see if they can sort it. I'll let y'all know what happens.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
You need to make IE your default browser,you can still use FF for surfing,when doing manual updates disable any pop-up blocker that maybe enabled otherwise it will not update.

·
Registered
90 Posts
just got a new PC...came with 15 months McAfee subs. I have automatic updates enabled yet it doesnt seem to be updating.

When I go to update manually it requires IE ( and I use firefox). Thats ok. I switch to IE and it asks to copy and paste a URL and then log in etc etc...then IE blocks an Active COntrolX so I click on it to run it and nothing happens ????

Surely updating the AV cant be this difficult ??
Pay careful attention to the window you see when you choose to tun active-x, you should see another window very soon after the first asking you to run again ... right?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Try this:
Open Internet Explorer, Go to Tools > Internet Options, Click on the Delete Cookies and Delete Files. Choose to Delete Offline content on the prompt.

While enabling ActiveX manually from Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Security tab>Custom Level, make sure to set "Download Unsigned ActiveX controls" to "Prompt" & not to "Enable".

Click on the Privacy Tab. Click on the Advanced Button, Select the Checkbox "Override Automatic Cookies Handling" and choose Accept for First and third Party cookies. Also check the box "Allow Session Cookies" Click on the Ok.

Click on the ProgramsTab. Make sure the checkbox "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is default browser" is checked. Click on the Ok. Click on the Advanced tab, click on the Restore Default button. Click on the Apply and Ok.

Now Go to Start > Run > Type %temp% press enter. Empty the Temp folder by click on Edit>Select all from menu on top & press Delete key from Keyboard.

Open Internet Explorer, Go to View>Tool bars & ensure that only Standard buttons & Address Bar are checked. Uncheck the rest.

Also which version installed,if you have a red background with a white M thats Virus Scan 10>Right-click on M icon>scroll to virusscan>click on about>Dat/Engine/Build.

If you have white background with red M thats Virusscan 11>Double-click on M icon>click on view detalis.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.