Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scenario: 5 station network, 1 machine seems to be infected with a boot sector virus which I can't get rid of. (Disconnected form the network now.) Resolved to reload entire machine so I fdisked the drive, re partitioned and formatted. Also using a clean startup diskette (win98se) I booted and ran "fdisk/mbr". Upon reloading Win98 I get (in setup) all the way to "win 98 is configuring your system and finalizing settings" and it hangs. I restart and work through the setup with re-doing (as requested by the prog) some of th e settings such as time zone etc. and when it is done, I let it reboot. As it does this I get "regsvr32.dll error" and several other errors (all .dll) until the blue screen of death knocks it out for good. I have pulled the battery from the main board to reset the bios, removed all other boards beside the video card and still get pretty much the same scenario. Is it possible for a virus to survive everything I've done to kill it in the master boot record?? I've heard it may be possible. I don't want to trash an almost new 20 gb hard drive but it is looking like the only solution. Any help for this amateur geek? (By the way this is MY network so I'm cost sensitive about trashing stuff without trying my best to save it.) Thanks. Dave T.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.