Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a computer, it originally had a fried power supply. Fried to the point of stinking. So I replace the power supply, 15 seconds on and the new one fries. I pulled the mobo off looking for shorts, no shorts but half the capacitors around the cpu looked like they were puffing out. I bought a new mobo (msi km2m) with onboard (yuk) vid and audio. Reason was just in case the vid card was fried (fan was making loud noise) it would eliminate that variable too.

With that and a new 400w PS I happily assembled the system and guess what. Fans start but no beeps, no display, no nothing. I tried switching ram, nothing. Cleared cmos, nothing. 30 seconds on it shuts down and kinda smells again.

For those of you that don't know me I've done a zillion or so repairs and a dozen or so new builds but I have never ran across a burnt processor but the evidence is pointing that way.

has anyone else ever fried a 1 gig duron? What did it act like?

Jim

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm...

i seen a couple durons live through a total fry down.

i seen one duron outlive two different motherboards.

i never seen one fail.

doesnt mean they can't.

~BoB~

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the CPU may have shorted out. Do you have another one that you can get your hands on to try it.

One more thing when you replaced the motherboard did you take out all of the standoffs from the case and only put them in where needed?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If the caps in the switching P/S on the MB are "puffed out", they're probably shorted, and would certainly be a problem when you attempt to power up the system. There was a pretty widely publicized problem with bad electrolytic caps on a number of different brands of motherboards, you may have one of those. Address the obviously visible problems first!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SPEEDO said:
Sounds like the CPU may have shorted out. Do you have another one that you can get your hands on to try it.

One more thing when you replaced the motherboard did you take out all of the standoffs from the case and only put them in where needed?
Yup standoffs are OK. I don't have access to another duron, I think I'll call around and see if I can get a place to put the duron in one of their boards and fry it..er....I mean test it.

J

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JAMMAN said:
Yup standoffs are OK. I don't have access to another duron, I think I'll call around and see if I can get a place to put the duron in one of their boards and fry it..er....I mean test it.

J
Update... it was the duron that was fried. I got an athalon 1.6 gig and it works just fine.

XP of course doesn't even want to try to start, and using the recovery option askes for an administrative password which has long been lost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.