Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd rather be sure.

Just got back from the sandbox after being there for a year. While there I had to work thru military servers for personal surfing. Now that I'm back, I've noticed my start up time seems to be 5 or 6 minutes long.

Any ideas on what to check?

I use AVG, SG, ZA, Ad-Aware & Spybot. All updated regularily.

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
Go to Start > Run > msconfig > Startup tab and post back with all the entries listed in the Startup Item column. You can post a screenshot if that's quicker for you, just make sure all the entries are visible.

Do you have a network card? What are your system specs?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna have to do this the long way.

Print screen is not pasting to this box.

I have the following elements al with green checks in their boxes in the following order. Exactly as spelt.

ehtray
SynTPEnh
HP Wireless Assistant
HPWuSchd2
cpqset
Isburnwatcher
winampa
ISUSPM
issch
atiptaxx
zlclient
avqcc
SpywareGuard

My Device manager shows the following:

Network Adapters
1394 Net Adapter (Red X'd)
Bluetooth LAN access Server
Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ehernet Nic

Was this any help?

·
TSF Emeritus
26,228 Posts
I suspect the network adapter is the problem. Is this a leftover from its military days, or do you still use it to connect to the internet?

Try the msconfig suggestions below, and if they don't help, I'll move this thread to the Networking forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You have some processes running at startup that are optional. If you choose to disable any of them in the msconfig Startup list, remove the tick in the Startup Item box and click Apply/OK, then reboot to complete the process, and then check to make sure the sytem is working ok with the process disabled.

The ones I would remove are:
hpwuschd2.exe
isburnwatcher.exe
isuspm.exe
issch.exe

These are auto-update services which are not required to be running at all times. Instead, updates can be performed manually by running the programs when necessary.

Also, winampa.exe is not needed at startup, it can be run from the Start icon when needed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

ehtray.exe - system tray process for digital media manager in Microsoft Media Center. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.

syntpenh.exe - provides additional configurations and support for the Synaptics laptop touchpad. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

HP Wireless Assistant - http://h20239.www2.hp.com/techcenter/Wireless/wireless_setup.htm

hpwuschd2.exe - Hewlett Packard Software Update Scheduler which displays update information regarding HP's range of products. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

cpqset.exe - Hewlett Packard Configuration Module for HP laptops. It allows for configuration of multimedia devices. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

isburnwatcher.exe - HP Updater Utility. Connects to the internet to check for HP product updates. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.
( Lsburnwatcher.exe - associated with LightScribe from HP, used to support LightScribe discs for your CD/DVD burner. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems. )

winampa.exe - WinAmp media player. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference.

isuspm.exe - Macrovision InstallShield. Checks for the latest updates online. By removing this process you will not get informed about the latest updates for InstallShield. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

issch.exe is an update service relating to the InstallShield utility which keeps this software up to date. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

atiptaxx.exe - system tray process for your ATI graphics card drivers, easy access to your graphic card settings. This process can be removed to free up system resources.

zlclient.exe - ZoneAlarm firewall. Should not be disabled.

avqcc - ?
avgcc - AVG Anti-Virus Control Center. Should not be disabled.

SpywareGuard - provides real-time protection against spyware. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK done. There seems to be difference in start up speed. I have run it everal times today and just pulled up the msconfig to make sure the "green checks" you recommned had not defaulted back to on (they hadn't).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had missed the question about the network adapter. This laptop has not been networked with other systems. It has been used on a Tachyon router while I was in Iraq. but the system belongs to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.