Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have been having trouble with my 40 gig Maxtor for a couple weeks now. At first it was making a lot of noise but that has stopped. Now at random when I turn on my computer, it says I have no hard drive. When I restart it's back. Also, at times I receive and error (unknown hard error) and everything freezes. My question is, should I replace it before it actually goes? It's no longer on warranty so I want to make sure it can't be fixed before buying another hard drive.

I have a 1000 gig athlon, abit kt7a raid motherboard, 2 48x liteon burners and a 20 gig maxtor.

Thanks,

sapphy

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums sapphy................:D

Usually when you here noise coming from a hard drive it is a sign of impending doom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the welcome. I thought that wasn't a good sign but it hasn't made a noise in almost a week now, it's just the other things. I was hoping it was something else. I'll just replace it to avoid any kind of troubles later.

sapphy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have other symptoms on and off. I was hoping that the other things were something else but I think it's best to just replace it.

sapphy

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can try Spinrite from Steve Gibson.

www.grc.com

It's a pretty good hard drive utility, and can sometimes straighten out a bad sector table, returning a smaller working drive.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums r00t :D

You can buy a hard drive cheaper.....................:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.