Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time playing with SATA drive .....I just built this system and in the process of loading XP I have come across the following problem.

Equipment is : :
: MAxtor Serial ATA 80gig 7200 - attached to serial 1 plugin (identified by bios as serial_ch0 )
: ABIT kv7 w/ VIA VT8237 bios v.2.01
: AMD 2500
: dvd/rw drive sitting on the secondary master

OK so here is the challenge. Ran the MAxtor MAxblast util to format drive..all normal. Broke it into 2 partitions 40 gig each. I then boot into bios setup...and see the dvd listed as 2nd master ( cool ) BUT no Primary master listed ( which I assume would be the SATA ). hmm weird...so I let it do a whole boot process and after several screens ( normal stuff) I see it doesnt list the sata as the primary but later there is a screen which says
"scan devices
Serial_ch0 Maxtor 6y080m0
Serial_ch No Device "

So after going back and forth.. tried resetting cmos etc...try starting XP by booting from cd ( it starts to load gets to part and doesnt see disk either. I am thinking maybe this motherboard is not right.

Question I have:
Will the SATA drive appear in the listing of the primary/secondary listings during bootup ( assuming it is working ) ----- PS. HDD has power & is spinning
I'm thinking this MB should be confige'd already for SATA...checked Maxtor site and see no relevant FAQ's nor similar problems.

I am leaning towards taking this MB back to store. Is there anything I am missing in this install?
Any help would be great !! Thanks

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Will the SATA drive appear in the listing of the primary/secondary listings during bootup ( assuming it is working )
No I don't think so. I'm 95% sure these fields only report your regular IDE primary/secondary master/slave devices. SATA appears to be a tack-on using your VIA Southbridge, what BIOS calls an "OnChip" device. It doesn't appear your PhoenixBIOS bothered to extend the device display to show what it found on the SATA's.

But sometimes I've seen BIOS screen fields appear or disappear depending on the values of other settings, so... who knows?.

I'm thinking this MB should be confige'd already for SATA
Well, maybe. Your SATA ports do have to be enabled in BIOS. They both go on or off together. It's not clear from the manual what the default setting is for this, so you need to go in and check.

Go to your BIOS setup screens (hit DELETE during powerup). On the first screen, arrow-down to "Integrated Peripherals" and hit Enter. A screen should open; highlight the first choice, "OnChip IDE Device" and hit Enter. Another screen should open; arrow-down to "OnChip SATA Device" and use +/- to set it to "Enabled". Looks like that's all you need to set for the SATA.

Next, ESC back to your main screen and choose Advanced BIOS Features, and hit Enter. A screen opens up; set First Boot Device to your DVD/RW, set Second Boot Device to Floppy, and set Third Boot Device to Hard Disk. Hit F10 to save.

According to the manual the SATA ports can support RAID-0 or RAID-1 also, but I could find no BIOS fields to control this, apparently this behavior is based on what O/S driver you load.

BTW, because the SATA looks like such a tack-on, Appendix E suggests to me you might need to download and go ahead and install the "VIA SATA Driver V1.0.0" from the Abit download site for your KV7 (released what... 3 days ago?) DURING Windows XP install time. Place them first on a floppy (it's an .EXE so might need to self-extract first). Then when you boot from the install CD, and it asks you to hit F6 to install SCSI drivers, put in the floppy and hit F6, then go from there; the F6 thing is right at the beginnning of XP setup, and there's a timeout on this action. Whether or not you need to do this, may depend on what you found when you checked the "Enabled" setting, above.

If your ports are already enabled, and the boot order is the way I said, then maybe there is something else wrong. Let us know how it goes and if necessary we can dig further.

-clintfan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was pretty sure that the fields only reported the regular IDE primary/secondary master/slave devices. 'specially after the 'OnChip' device thingy.

And yes the SATA ports are enabled by default...I doubled checked. Will do a check on driver updates ....there wasnt any additional Appendix with my manual. Will report back progress ...Thanks for the speedy reply!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well while trying to update the bios from floppy I got a failure to read disk error...abort/retry...etc. never got to point of running flash update.

I restarted (after selecting boot from floppy) and am now getting hang at the 'VErifying DMI Pool....update success'
then just a blinking cursor. OR it says 'VErifying DMI Pool.... and blinks from there. Seems random.

also noticed that its sometimes recognizing amd 2500+ and DDR 333 sometimes just amd 1100 and ddr 133. hmmm

ver. 12 bios update on ABIT site says " Revised DMI pool data. & Fixed the problem that previous KV7_11 BIOS wrongfully recognize AMD Athlon XP as Duron CPU. "

I cant even get it to boot to a floppy. Ideas??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo!! Had a bad floppy. Finally got the update to work. Still no workee....but then got the VIA SATA update and hit F6 during xp install and bingo...it sees the drives and installs !! SAweeeet.

Thank you so much!! I was in for a 2 hour drive back to Frys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.