Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two hard drives, the larger one for storage is 160Gb, I had to use a RAID card and Maxblast3 to use it.

My First Hard drive has all my programs and OS on it, it gave me a terrible error one day, I tried to repair Win2KPro but all I could do was a full re-install.

Of course my Maxtor drive was not in 'MyComputer' although the system during bootup finds it! (maxblast)

I ran MaxBlast3 and used the HW wiz to find the drive, it found it, but says 'access denied'! When I have MaxBlast3 look for it, it only finds a controller and my only option is to ERASE the drive!

If I uninstall the drive, when I reboot, its back again! Access denied!

I have tons of work on that drive, I use a secondary drive for storage to protect my work in just this kind of case! But now I cant access the drive?

Do I have to uninstall MB3, take the drive out, install MB3 then put the drive back in?

Will MB4 let me do this without having to go through that pain?

Will a new computer recognize a 160 Gb drive without having to RAID it?

Thanks!

Jeffery

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
When you setup the drive with MaxBlast3, did you use DDO (Dynamic Drive Overlay)? I believe Maxtor calls it Big Drive Enabler.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
win2k sp2 is the os

i used the raid card and drive before, and it worked fine, i was able to use all of my raided hard drive space, by installing maxblast3 and then installing the raid card and drive, and running the mb3 program, i've had no problems, this is my storage drive

untill i had to re-install my os, now i cannot access the raid drive

the os shows the drive, but when i try to explore it, i get access denied

mb3 will only give me the option of erasing the drive, which i do not want to do

will winxp recognize the drive without a raid card?

because now my computer will not even boot up, i just want to get a new system, and i want to use my storage hard drive in it

what would cause my computer to just not boot up? it worked the previous day after i reinstalled the os, now the hd light comes on and no boot sequence occurs, nothing displays on the monitor!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Dynamic Drive Overlay is where it tricks the BIOS and the OS to see a larger drive than what it can actually read. Mostly used when the system does not support 48 bit LBA. This gets to be a problem if your drive becomes corrupt or you switch the drive into another computer. It makes it almost impossible to recover any data on the drive.
I see another problem though. You must have at least Win2K SP3 to see a drive larger than 137GB.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So does that mean, if I hooked up my Maxtor (The one I had connected using RAID) hard drive as a slave in an XP machine, I could not retreive the data on it?

My machine now does not boot up at all, when i turn it on, the HD light comes on, but there is no cmos boot-up activity at all! Is it my motherboard?

My monitor just displays "Video cables connected?"

If I added my Maxtor drive to a new machine, using the RAID card and MBlast, like I did to use it in the forst place, could I get all my data that way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
planetfall said:
So does that mean, if I hooked up my Maxtor (The one I had connected using RAID) hard drive as a slave in an XP machine, I could not retreive the data on it?

My machine now does not boot up at all, when i turn it on, the HD light comes on, but there is no cmos boot-up activity at all! Is it my motherboard?

My monitor just displays "Video cables connected?"

If I added my Maxtor drive to a new machine, using the RAID card and MBlast, like I did to use it in the forst place, could I get all my data that way?

Thanks!
XP will only see drives larger than 137GB will atleast SP1 installed.
I would have to say if you installed at least Win2K SP3 you should be able to see the drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply,

does it matter that i used maxblast3? does that mean my drive has been formatted in some proprietary way that can only be accessed with their raid card?

i would still like to access the drive the same way i did before i re-installed win2kpro, why wouldnt it let me access my drive after reinstalling the os?

what do i have to do to access my maxtor like before?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
OK, This all has to do with 48 bit LBA. Since the drive was used with an OS that could see it with 160GB, then the OS had to have at least Win2K sp3 or Win XP sp1. If this was the case, then you will need to apply the appropriate service packs to the OS for the OS to see over 137GB.
If the drive was set up with Maxtor's Big Drive Enabler, then the only OS that will work is the one that was used inititally with the drive in the original system. Because Big Drive Enabler makes certian changes to the registry so it can "fake" the OS in seeing it as a larger drive.

If your OS does not see the drive, even with the proper service packs, you will probably have to use a third party software to recover your data. If the drive was set up with DDO and you use a third party recovery software, your data may show as being fragmented. This is why I always advise against using DDO. It leaves you no recourse for data recovery.

You do not need to use the drive manufacturers disk utility to set up a drive. Win2K and WinXP can do this for you. During the installation and in Windows you can partition and format a drive. Use the drive manufacturers disk only for Diagnostic or zero filling a drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, the clue from my previous posts that should have been identified was "access denied"

You see, all I had to do was set up the security permissions to allow the new user I made when I reinstalled the OS, to have access to the drive and viola! Now I can access my hard drive.

Problem Solved.

Thanks all the same guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.