Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm having a problem with my Maxtor 1 TB External Hard Drive Product Number: 9NZ2D8 - 500.

Recently the Hard Drive fell on its side and ever since it will not turn on when it is plugged in. Instead of powering on it makes a soft intermittent buzzing sound. When plugged in to my PC it cannot be recognised. I'm wondering if any one has any ideas about if and how I could fix this. I have a lot of important files on the hard drive that I haven't backed up and am reluctant to send it back to maxtor as they will only replace the hard drive and all my files will be lost.

If I were to guess I would say that something may have broken off inside and that It might be easily fixed If I were to take it to a proffesional. Although this would void the warranty and I don't want to end up with no hard drive and no data.

If anyone knows of how I might be able to fix the hard drive, anywhere I can take the hard drive to get fixed or has experience with Maxtor's return policy or can offer any assistance at all I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
Barry

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Take the enclosure apart, see if something loosened up. If not
buy another enclosure, or hook the drive up as a slave inside of the
pc. Chances are theres a issue with the enclosure...

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Start with what Manic said, if you jhook the drive updirect to a PC and get the same sounds, then it is likely an issue with teh heads, or the spindle. You wil need pro data recovery at that point - not the local computer shop or big box, but a DR company with clean roon and trained personell. If the drive was running when it fell over then it is likely heads. Probably talking $1500 - $2000 for a recovery from physical damage on that drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys, not sure how I would go about opening the Hard Drive though, there are no exposed screws or anything. I think I'll call down to a Computer Store and see about getting a new enclosure for it. The data stored on it really isn't worth the cost of data recovery though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought the same hard drive, and cant get it set up. Ive plugged the ethernet cable to the router, and i have power, but the status light wont stop blinking. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, not sure how I would go about opening the Hard Drive though, there are no exposed screws or anything. I think I'll call down to a Computer Store and see about getting a new enclosure for it. The data stored on it really isn't worth the cost of data recovery though.
Hi Barry did you ever get this drive problem fixed ?

I have the same problem.

Thanks

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.