Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hav owned this maxtor 160gb HD for about a yr or so. It has worked great but yesterday i realized that my HD wasnt available for choice on my pc anymore. So I notcied that my Hd wasnt making really any noise that it use to. So i turned it off then i turned it back on and it sounds nothing like it used to. It sounds like it wants to start spinning up then it stops, and starts and stops, so on and so on. I took it apart and made the insides visible and turn it on again. The silver disc only rotates maybe 1/4 of an inch and stops and does this continually. Sometimes it will spin slightly longer like it wants to work but then goes back to the small increments. I thought maybe a motor is bad? and i could maybe repair this by replacing a motor>?? So i came on here to ask some experts. Whats the verdict on my drive?? Thanks for the help in advance!

G

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Hi, welcome to TSF. :wave:

It's hard to say - either a bad drive or not enough power.

Try mounting the drive as a slave inside the computer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It is an external drive. why would i want to do that? Are we seeing if the pc pushes more power thru it? I am decent with electronics and pcs but im not to sure how to do what u are asking, esp since its an external HD. So u want me to take the hd out of the external case, switch it to slave and install on the inside of the pc? It shows on the hd itself which is master etc. There is no slave but it does say no jumper =ds(slave) and it shows which slot is the ds(master) so i'm assuming that as long as i dont have a jumper the ds spot is the slave but what is the jumper. Wont there be any problems having 2 hd's hooked up at once . Once i have done this what will this tell me. not enough power?? or just that the drive fried is not repairable??

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
If the drive works as a slave inside the computer there's obviously something wrong with the enclosure/external power supply.

Maxtor jumper settings:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx for the help! I mounted it inside and it does power up. I didnt move the jumper and it is currently on the cable select position according to the diagram u provided. I have the diamond plus 9 series. So it is on the 2nd from the left and it is vertical. My pc is working fine and i can access the HD as drive D: on my pc. What does it matter if its on the cable select mode and not the slave mode? Should i still move the jumper to slave as the diagram u provided shows and use it that way or can i keep it the way i have it on cable select? thx again

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
If you choose cable select both drives connected to the IDE cable should be set to CS.

So you can access and read/use the files on the drive?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i can access and use the files on the hd i just installed thats set to CS. Im not sure what my primary Hd is set to tho. I'll change it to slave on the hd i just put and see if it works as well. if does then i will leave it as slave. I Guess i will just have an internal hd instead of an external. no biggy. Thx again for all the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: [SOLVED] Maxtor External HD Wont boot. Can it be fixed or is it fried?

As far as the enclosure thats already in the garbage. But something is still not right. It seemed everything was fine the 1st time. But when i restarted the pc it has to check the newly internal drive D: and all the stuff comes up non-readable thru the check. Windows does boot, much much slower than b4. And when its finally done everytime i go to click somethin it takes forever! Even just moving the mouse i'll get the hourglass icon for a split sec. I had to rearrange the positions of the hd's so i could hook them both up keeping all the cables connected the same way they were. So that shouldnt be the problem since all the cables are hooked they way they were expect for the ones that werent being used are being used now. As soon as i unplug the newer HD's data and power cord my PC takes off loading things as fast as usual. Why is my newly installed HD slowing the pc down so much? I mean its not just alittle its alot, enough to where u want to throw it out the window and buy a new pc. My newer HD is about full and I know that when HD are full it slows them down i heard but if my pc is running off the other hd for booting up why is this happening? I looked at the jumper settings for my factory hd and it was set to CS as well. But matter how i have the newer HD jumper set CS, Slave, or no jumper at all, my pc still runs like well u know what. Any idea?? too bad u didnt have a aim name. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

ive located both disk drives in device manager and ive gone to properties.i looked thru all the tabs and pages and didnt see anything that said DMA. Could u tell me where exactly this option is? The only thing that i can enable / disable is writing caching on the disk. Which is already enabled. There is nothing else that i can change.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts

DMA is enabled by default in Windows XP.
If there are problems with the data transfer XP will turn DMA off and run the drive in PIO mode and the user will not be able to enable DMA again.

Have a look in Device manager again:
Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers >
Right-click the channel your HDDs are connected to > Properties > Advanced Settings.
In the Current Transfer Mode menu > select "DMA if available" (if it's set to PIO only).
If the current setting is "DMA if available" > change it to "PIO only" > click OK > change back to "DMA if available" > click OK.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

Also - run chkdsk /r on the slave drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did what you told me and found that on my secondary it was set to pio or poi and not dma. I changed it and rebooted but my secondary drive was not seen. I changed my setting from slave to CS since i think my primary is set to CS but i coyuld be wrong. The diagram on the primary HD for the settings doesnt look like the actual pins on the drive so its hard to tell what the jumper is set to. So i set the secondary to CS and rebooted. The drive is seen right off the bat and win runs a chkdisk on the d: but it all file records segments are saying unreadable inb the chkdisk scan. What does this mean?? I'm still waiting for the chkdisk to finish to see if it will actually work or not. There is not one segment coming up thats readable its all unreadable. UPDATED.... chkdisk completed but then it just stayed at that screen and never booted windows. So i had to do a hard shutdown and skipped the chkdisk. Windows takes very long to boot and my 2nd hd is listed in the win explorer but when i goto access it it says D:\ is not accessible. Error pereforming inpage operation. Whats the word??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Don't know exactly what u mean. Are u telling me to use only one HD to boot and use my second one? not the primary? And what am i doing with my cd/dvd drive and why? or am i suppose to leave my primary hd in and disconnect one of my cd drives and hook my 2nd HD in that slot and then boot?

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
Boot from your primary (original) HDD.

Take the ribbon cable from the CD drive and connect it to the (former) external HDD. This is to see if it's an incorrect jumper setting causing the problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, i did that and it immidately goes to checkdisk and starts checking but again all the file record segemts are unreadable. So, so far its doing the same that it was doing when it was hooked up using the 2nd hd ribbion cable. update... File verification complete but it was all unreadable. and after some time it starts going thru all the data i had saved on this hd by indivdual files and says recovering orphaned file......... then it says insufficent disk space to recover lost data. it does this for every file .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
so i powered down the pc and tried to reboot it. I was gonna skip the chkdisk this time when i was prompted. however i cant even get to that screen now. When i rebooted my win logo cam up and the loading bar ran its course but then the screen goes black and nothing loads. Its done this twice in a row. I moved the jumper from cs to slave while the black screen was still there and it immidately showed the chkdsk screen. but when windows loaded i went into explorer and the d: is there but i cant access it still. This is all being done with my 2nd hdd hooked up to one of the cd ribbions and not the 2nd hdd ribbion.

·
Registered
23,001 Posts
That doesn't sound too good. :sigh:

See what TestDisk says about the files on the drive.

Download the Windows version of TestDisk.
Unzip the downloaded file to your C: drive.
Open C:\testdisk-6.8\win > double click the "testdisk_win" icon.

The program runs in a command window and doesn't have to be installed.

Each of the steps (A, B, C etc) below corresponds to a new TestDisk window.
Use the keyboard's arrow keys to navigate.

A. At the first window, select “No Log” and press the <Enter> key.
B. Select which drive to analyse, choose “Proceed” and <Enter>.
C. Select partition type – Intel if it’s a PC then <Enter>.
D. Select “Analyse” then <Enter>. The drive will be analysed.
E. Select “Backup” at the next screen, then <Enter>.
F. Press “Y” if the partitions were created under Vista – “N” if not.
G. Select which partition to analyse and press <P> to list any files in the partition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
lol. Well i guess im stuck now. I just realized that i had my winzip on my external so i cant get access to it. Ive tried redownloading a trial version but it keeps saying that my trial time is up. I cannot find my registration key to redownload one and put my key in so i guess im kinda screwed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.