Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have a Maxtor External hard drive that was originally used under win98. I have a newer desk top with XP and it will not recognize this as another hard drive. Any suggestions how I can get this to work. Thanks Golddigger

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
another option may be to remove the drive from the external enclosure then connect the drive internally on the same cable as your current internal drive

if this option is used make sure your existing internal drive is set to "Master" jumper and the other is set to "Slave" jumper

then if the drive works ok >>>> the problem lies with your enclosure which is common with externals they get bumped more than they are suppose too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The disk management recognizes it as a removable with 28.61 GB but when I try to access it from my computer it shows that it is not formatted. How do I get to the BIOS to see if it needs to be updated? The disk mgr doesn't show a brand. Thanks for the help. Golddigger

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if there is no data on the drive that needs to be saved??? you can format the drive from within disk managment by right clicking on the external drive found listed in the disk management and selecting "format"

after formatting the drive should be usable

is the size being reported in Disk Management correct for the drive????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maxor Hard Drive

Unfortunately I have about 10 years worth of genealogy records on that hard drive and don't want to loose it. Yes it is a 30 GB hard drive so it is being reported correctly. A friend has suggested I buy another hard drive and transfer the information to the new one via a serial PCto Pc file trasnfer cable. What do you think of that idea? Also how do I get to the bios. Thanks Golddigger

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello digger:

first off there is nothing in the bios that is going to assist you in regaining your files. If you are just plain interested in learning the bios you can find that info in our "Tips & Tricks" section. I will warn you; please dont mess with any bios setting until this matter has been resolved, dont want the water getting any muddier.

Second suggestion; I would purchase the program "Getdataback" recovery program, they have a trial version which scans your drive and then you can see if this recovery program will work for you before you pay! This prog is a tad pricey at $89.00 I think, but you must assign your data a value ?
here is the link to that prog:
http://www.runtime.org/

third comment: the PC to PC networking cable will not help you until your computer can access or "see" the data. I would pass on that endeavor.
Once you have recovered your drives data then you can reformat the drive and live happily ever after; :wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.