Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a maxtor 3200 100GB external drive. It quit working. The power supply works and the green light comes on, but the motor does not run.
My question is: Since the motor is not running can I assume that the data is still there and if so is there anyway that the data can be retrieved.
The model of hard drive is Maxtor, model 6L100PO 100GB PATA 133 HDD.
The unit is about 4 years old and has not worked for several months and I need some of the data from it now.

I have seen several threads where the discussion has been about opening the maxtor case. I found that inserting a very thin narrow narrow object such as a sturdy putty knife in the top and the bottom center area to a depth of about 1/2 inch and sliding the knife towards the ends both ways on the top and bottom. This action would slide some metal hooks that hold the case together toward the ends and would release the case. Kind of tricky, but once you see how it goes together it makes perfect sense.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,884 Posts
If it is under warranty, then opening the case will VOID the warranty.

With that said, you can remove the HDD from the case and attach it directly to your PC. That will eliminate the enclosure as a cause of the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have an extra slot for another drive but will that drive fit in that slot?
I have it out of the case, and am ready to do something, but exactly what I'm not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.