Tech Support banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad 13 (Type 20GJ) and manufacturer specs list the memory as:
"16GB max / 2133MHz DDR4, two DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets"

My question is whether this means 16GB max in total (ie I could upgrade my existing 4GB to 2 x 8GB) or 16GB per slot (and so I could upgrade to 2 x 16GB)?

Unfortunately, the system scan on Crucial is obviously not accurate, as it says my laptop has only one RAM slot which is obviously not true (I can see the second slot on the motherboard!).

Thanks

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, Doc. Funny how the Crucial rep I chatted with wouldn't give this info but only the same erroneous info as the Crucial System Scan (which identified my unit as a Thinkpad S2), which says I only have one slot.

Now I do suspect the information you linked to is referring to the Thinkpad 13 2nd Gen because here are the manufacturer specs for that unit https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_13_2nd_Gen/ThinkPad_13_2nd_Gen_Spec.PDF
32GB max / 2133MHz DDR4, two DDR4 SO-DIMM sockets
Which leaves me still uncertain about my computer. Perhaps 16GB total max?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,233 Posts
Your system has two SO-DIMM sockets. Each socket supports a maximum of one 16 GB 2133MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM module.

So, One 16 GB RAM module in each socket, times two sockets equals a grand total of 32 GB of RAM.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
What comes after 20GJ ?

·
28,962 Posts
I prefer using RAM in equal pairs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hear that is the way to go. The question remains... to upgrade to 2 x 8GB or 2 x 16 GB? (if 2 x 16GB would work)

I only have a i3-6100U processor with integrated Intel 520 graphics so I feel like those will probably be the real limiting factors on this machine. Or do I want to make sure I have extra extra RAM for the video card to use?

For context, I am looking at upgrading my machine to be more suitable for GIS, including some basic 3D rendering. I recognize at some point I will probably need to look at a proper workstation, but in the meantime I'm trying to make some easy upgrades.

·
28,962 Posts
2X8 will give you all you need even if 2X16 might be possible. I'm saying this without researching. Just common sense based on the limits of this type of device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if this warrants a new thread but here is an update: I went with 16 GB in a 2 * 8 GB configuration. Alas, the second RAM slot (previously unused) has some visible corrosion and I believe will not read any RAM (my old 4 GB, and the two new 8's all work individually in the first slot, but I can't get the computer to boot with anything in the second slot).

Grimy 2nd slot (after attempts to clean with alcohol on q tip, paint brush, and alcohol on RAM inserted and removed several times)

Shiny 1st slot:

I can't fathom why the second slot is so gross (I bought the computer in 2016, no water damage ever) but I am wondering from here:
  1. Any further suggestions for cleaning RAM slot contacts? I have read about threading paper but debris isn't the issue here
  2. Would my best bet be to return the 2*8GB and order a 16 GB card to run on the one good slot? Will that work on my machine?
Cheers!

·
28,962 Posts
Check to make sure. Will they actually take a return? If the other slot can't be "activated" then it's your only shot at 16GB. This company Home - CAIG makes a product that might work better than alcohol. Although you tried soft brushes, a toothbrush might be a better scrubber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried Revive electrical contact cleaner, repeated removal and insertion of RAM, and a good scrub with a toothbrush but had no luck booting (left one of the 8GB in the 1st slot and tried both the 4GB and other 8GB in the second slot.

I am thinking a single 16GB might be my only option for 16GB RAM - can anyone confirm that my computer will work with a 16GB card? Once I know about that I will look into return.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts