Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Siemens SL45i mobile phone using a 128MB MMC formatted as FAT12, if I have more than 300 files in a directory the phone has problems reading the filename, but when I but the MMC in the PC there is no problem, there is currently 6000 files in 1 directory, the files are SMO/SMI (181 byte SMS files) or MID/BMP files

Can really format to FAT16 or FAT32 because the phone can only read FAT12, so my question is what is the limit number of files in 1 directory

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There is a limit for files in the root directory, but I don't believe there's a limit for files in a subdirectory.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well yes, the size of the disk limits how many files you can have. :rolleyes: Since FAT12 has a 16mb filesystem size limit, and a 4k cluster size, it's obvious that you won't get a million files in the subdirectory. OTOH, the only limitation is when you run out of disk space, which would be around 4000 files on a maximum sized FAT12 partition.

Was there some point you were trying to make, or do you just always have to disagree? :confused:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.