Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Micron Millennia Max, PIII 500MHZ, with a SE440BX2 motherboard, 32-bit Ultra ATA33 hard drive controller. In 1999 the system came with a 13 GB western digital hard drive, small by todays standards. I am experiencing problems with movie making due to my hard drive capacity. Can I upgrade to a higher capacity hard drive with this motherboard? And, if so, what is the largest I can go?

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
First off, I'd look for a BIOS upgrade to support the larger drives, Intel SE440BX-2 here, and then you can probably go to 120gigs. With a 1999 BIOS, you probably are limited to 32gigs.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I have a BIOS from '99 and I had absolutely no problems with the installation of my Westen Digital 40GB hard drive.

·
Global Moderator
51,638 Posts
It depends on when the specific maker converted over to the 120gig support. Somewhere in the middle to late 1999 is the time that most BIOS versions got updated for larger than 32mb disks. It makes sense to upgrade to one that's is much more likely to support the large disk, since it's a no cost upgrade. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.