Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo I built a new systems yesterday. I ordered brand new components.

System specif.:
Asus p4c800-e deluxe board
Western Digital WD360GD SATA150
Intel P4 2,8 FSB800 512k
Zalman ZM300A-APF power supply
Zalman CNPS7000-ALCU CPU fan
1024 MB Kingston HyperX DDR 400M

and my old but functioning Matrox G550

When installing the system (Windows XP with or without SP1) everything works just fine, until I do install the driver for my Matrox G550. After that my systems freezes randomly, shuts down without a reason (not properly but brutally) and shuts down instead of logging of. It makes the impression of a hard reset to me.
I can exclude virus problems or hardware issues. On a clean Windows XP it works just fine. It doesn’t matter if SP1 is installed or not. The problems start when installing the driver. They seem to be worse with the older versions, but also with PowerDesk 5.86.032 the systems is not usable.
My Matrox card worked fine on my old computer while using the same driver under WindowsXP. It was a P3 500Mhz, but it ran properly with the G550 installed.

I don’t know if the Asus board or the Matrox driver is to blame for the problem. As a matter of fact both work if taken alone. But when they come together things get pretty messy. Even a system restore is impossible (systems shuts down!). Even if, by miracle, the restore succeeds the problem persists. The only solution I found so far is a complete new windows installation.

I don’t want to replace the board but I also want to keep my Matrox. So I need help with the problem really quickly. I still have about 12 days to get a replacement for the Asus board.

I hope that that issue is know and that somewhere a patch exists. I am thankful for every suggestion.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
376 Posts
Did you install the Intel INF Utility right after installing Windows XP?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PS

PS.
Unfortunately I had to notice that the system is not running smoothly even without the Matrox driver. So I think it really is an ASUS p4c800-e deluxe problem. All I read about it in the last hours on the internet confirms that supposition.
I did the usual windows updates after the fresh installation. I installed SP1 and everything was fine. I installed all the security patches and still OK. But after installing the last recommended updates problems reappeared. The system freezes when opening the device manager or when logging to another account (even after fresh reboot). Not as often as with the Matrox driver but too often for my taste. And there is another problem (a new one ƒ¼). Sometimes the characters on the ¡§start button¡¨ and on the logon screen disappear.
I think these are too many issues for a new and expensive board from a known manufacturer like ASUS. I am really thinking of giving it back. They are going to loose a loyal customer.

I am still glad for any suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick answer.
And yes I did. I followed about any instruction I found on the net to solve the problem, including that utility. Wihout succes. I ran it on the newly installed OS.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
locking up and rebooting randomly

I tried installing the driver again. With fully updated XP it seems to be more stable. I can now logo on and off from accounts without provoking a reboot. The missing characters reappeared after installing the driver. At first sight it seems to work but unfortunately the systems still reboot randomly and lock up from time to time. This seems to be a common issue for the Asus P4C800. But so far I did not find any solutions or explanations from Asus. I really need a hint, a patch, a link ……

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Maybe a new Matrox G550 BIOS update? This one came out this past January.

Also be sure to run Windows Update to download all the critical stuff, and other stuff you select yourself. Sounds like you may have already done that.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
better but still not good

I updated really everything I have the newest BIOS for the board and the matrox . At least the Matrox-update-utility says that. Latest drivers are installed for all the chipsets. I removed the modem and uninstalled the driver because the windows driver-check showed an error on that one. Windows is absolutely up-to-date.
Matrox Driver: 2kxp_591008

The system ran for a few hours without incident even under full load…. But still crashes randomly when doing quite simple things. I am still not able to reproduce these crashes, which makes finding a solution time-consuming. Can you tell me how I could possibly provoke such an error. I tried running benchmarks and demos to put both cpu and g550 under full load. But as I already said the crashes occur when doing simple things. The last crashes occured durnig a virus scan and during an installation.
As for the shutdowns; I switch that option in Windows of, so I get bluescreens in place. I did it some time ago and it says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Whatever that can help me. This leaves me up with the possibility of a driver-, board-, cpu- or memoryproblem
Besides the random shutdowns I now have another problem. When logging on, XP reports an explorer.exe error. This happens only directly after the logon. DRWatson says it’s an acces violation.

I am thankful for any help

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Did you install that PCcillin junk that came with the mobo? Try turning that off. If this gets you stable, go buy Symantec Norton Antivirus (with a subscription) instead.

It does sort of sound like a memory problem. Can you try running with only one stick of RAM?

How about with Hyper Threading turned off?

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
HT issue

I I use neither pcKillin nor Asusprobe. They both cause a lot of trouble. Concerning HT I followed the advice in the threat http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8387
I simply reinstalled the PCdriver as described. Now the system is running for 24 hours without a problem (=new record). But it needs further testing. I keep track of the problem in that threat.

As for the RAM I am now running on one stick.

Regards

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
Well I am glad it is running. All I know is that the Matrox G550 is supposed to be a fine card for this mobo, especially in terms of avoiding the garbled BIOS screen issue.

Don't think I can help you sort this out much further.

-clintfan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hy again

I am still having problems with my Asus P4C800-e deluxe.
But I am getting closer. I am nearly a 100% sure that the problems are not caused by any drivers or any bios. I kept the system running for over 3 days without a problem. I have to underline that I did the test with ONE of my Kingston KHX3200K2/1G memory modules. So after that I thought the problem was solved by the driver issue mentioned above. I have to say: it wasn’t! After installing the second module, Windows XP warned that there is not enough memory, along with a lot of other silly messages. But strangely enough the system runs stable with either the one module, or the other, but when taken together there is a massive instability. So both seem to be intact.
So I did another research and found this:
>>The 875 and 865 chipsets do not detect the correct SPD of the memory. To bypass this, you must set the timings manually. In the case of Corsair XMS3200LLPT (2X512)MB and a 3.0 GHz processor, I had to do the following: I set the timings to manual, 2,2,2,6 and this is KEY, disable legacy usb in the usb configuration.(don't worry your usb 1.1 devices will still work)
Now, something I had to do on mine, this may not apply to anyone else (could be a bad board, not sure) I put both modules in the BLACK DIMM slots. The blue were causing it to err out in memtest86 ver. 3.0. i.e., lock up and not continue after the first pass, and sometimes give an error status. <<

So I still have a lot of questions where I think you can help me out clintfan.

Can you tell me what you think of that idea? Can it be the cause of what I experience? How are your timings to get a stable system in dual channel mode? And where to hell do I get the correct timings for my modules?

Regards

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kingston HyperX
This should have your information. Find your modules and click the "buy now" to find the information.

2-3-2-6-1 are the timings, it appears.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do know nothing about memory clocking. Where do I introduce those five values in the bios?
When I disable SPD there are five fields that appear:
Dram CAS
Dram RAS
Dram RAS to CAS
Dram precharge delay
Dram burst length

My memory should be 2-2-2-6-1
Is this the sequence I shall put in?
And why does the burst lengh only allow 4 or 8 as value.

Still need help
Please

·
Registered
376 Posts
The first four numbers are the only ones to worry about. The "1" in the list meant T1.

My memory was tested at 2-3-2-6, although I've seen people successfully clock it at 2-2-2-5. Keep the burst at 8.

One word of warning -
To see if I could eliminate some beeps during post, I decided to manually configure my memory. I chose 2-3-2-6. When I tried to boot several times, my computer would not post at all. It wouldn't even allow the video BIOS to post, so I couldn't see a thing on the monitor since it wasn't getting a signal. The power and hard drive lights on the front of my tower stayed lit and wouldn't shut off. I finally cleared the RTC thing, was able to boot up, and changed the BIOS settings to the way I had them before the memory clocking.

I have no idea what happened, but it may have something to do with Corsair's Plug and Frag technology which sets the memory speed at the lowest latency possible upon startup. Perhaps the memory was getting two different signals or something.

You could still try setting your memory timings to 2-2-2-6 and see what happens. If things go crazy, you've got the solution right here so that you're prepared to correct any problems from it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I did. The system posted, but I got the same errors with memtest as on the auto-timing. That wasn't the solution so far.
Thanks anyway

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.