Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I master slaved a hard drive from a Dell computer to our computer which runs on Home Ed. of XP, and put XP Pro on it, then we put it back into the Dell case and started the computer up, we can't get past the www.dell.com screen and then a blank screen. Any help?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf
the harddrive has to be formatted and have the installation of windows take place in the computer [ motherboard ] that it will be used in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RE:crazijoe

Crazijoe,

How do I set the jumpers back? My dad might have done it. I can get into the Setup of the Dell now but don't know what to change, if I change something it goes back to a blank screen or asks me for a boot disk which we don't have, we can't get it to Windows at all. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whosdat,

Thanks for your reply. So if my dad and I masterslaved the harddrive to our home computer it won't run now in the Dell computer? I can get to the Setup screen now but I either get blank screen after that or a prompt for a boot disk that we don't have. It won't get to Windows at all, and the Windows we want to use is on this computer and we don't have original disks for anything either.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Check the BIOS to see if it detects the drive. Most Dell systems press 'F2' during the splash screen to go into the BIOS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I can get into the BIOS and it sees everything. I made boot disks and I get all the way through disk 6 and then get this message on a blue screen "STOP:c0000221 Unknown Hard Error\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll" ......any idea of what this means and what to do? Thanks again :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Um how do I do that, sorry I don't know, my dad might know but I really am trying to do this and surprise him.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
What you need is to find out what brand the drive is. You can do this by looking in the BIOS or pulling the drive out and looking on the lable. Then go to the manufacturers website and go to their support page. Normally the will have a download like where you can download different utilities. You will need to download the one for testing the drive. It will be a program that will let you create a floppy disk that you will boot from.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help. I will look at the drive and see if I can find out what it is and then make a floppy disk. I won't be able to reply again till Tuesday with the results but I appreciate you helping me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, the brand is Western Digital, WD Caviar,WD Model :WD136AA-7AF and its an Enchanced IDE HD with drive paramaters LBA 26564832 and 13601.1MB. Now I am going to go see if I can get a floppy disk for it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I made a floppy and ran it, it found no errors on the drive. Yet now I am still unable to use boot disks or get past a blank screen. I am trying to see the requirements of XP Pro now and see if it will run on the drive but am unable to find exact requirements.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the requirements for XP Pro and the hard drive should be able to handle it yet its not running. I am going to try to make boot disks again but everytime I do it I get the message of that file error, and I really can't reinstall the OS cuz I don't have the disks.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
Ok first thing is the WinXP CD is a bootable CD. You do not need boot disks to install the OS. You need to make sure the CD drive that has the OS install CD is the first in the boot sequence.

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Go back to he jumpers before you end up going in circles.
Take the drive out and look next to where the data cable connects.
There is a double row of 6 to 8 pins.
On top of the drive there should be a layout that shows configuration
for master-slave-cable select.
Set the little jumper block to master(it just pulls out and slides back on).
Note:Most western digital drives require that you remove the jumper
completely if you are running only one drive.

Reinstall the drive and connect it to the end connector on the data cable.
Reconnect the power cable and see if it boots.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I moved the jumper block to the master and restarted it to get this message when it tries to boot up:

A:Drive Error
Press <Del> to Resume

and if I hit Del I get this:

Invalid Boot Diskette
Insert BOOT diskette in A:

.....only problem is with that is that I am not starting it up with a boot disk at all, there's nothing in the A drive when I start it up and if I do put one in there it just repeats that message.

So I haven't tried removing the jumper completely and starting it...all I would do for that is remove the jumper block right?? Thanks for your help.

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Right,just remove the jumper.
At this point,the computer is not detecting a bootable drive.
Make sure you first boot device in the bios is set to
floppy and the second boot device is set to HDD0.
Slaving the drive in the other computer could have
changed the system files.
You may need to boot to the Windows XP CD and
go to the repair console.
Type fixmbr and press enter then reboot.
It is also possible that you will need to run a repair install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
K, I removed the jumper (can't you tell I am spending all day trying to fix this lol) and then restarted. I still get the A:Drive Error message but then pressing delete it doesn't ask me for a boot disk anymore. However I went into BIOS and found out that the floppy is selected for 1st boot, but for 2nd boot I have these choices, Floppy, ARMD-FDD,ARMD-HDD,IDE-HDD,ATAPI CDROm, and Disabled. I don't know what one to choose...

Also you mentioned that I may need to boot the cd and do the repair console but I don't have the XP Pro cd, my sister's computer came with it, my dad had gotten it from work so he didn't get disks with it, on there and my dad took it and put it on this computer we are fixing so I can only work with boot disks or what I can get online that can go onto floppy disks. So I don't know what you would suggest when I cant' get the cds to try the fixmbr thing you suggested, maybe there's another way but I am not sure. Thanks for your help.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.