Tech Support Forum banner

Massive fps drops

947 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Untertaker555 
#1 ·
Hello, my girlfiend is experiencing massive fps drops on every games she plays.
We've looked at all the solutions we could find on the internet, but nothing seems to help.
But it weirdly goes away from time to time.
She reinstalled Windows, cleaned her computer, tried to switch SSD or HDD (fro windows and games).
I don't have her specific configuration, but it's a laptop.
She can launch a game without any issue, it runs at 100+fps and then it drops at 34-40fps for a few seconds, then back to 100+ for a few more seconds/minutes, then back to 30-40 again and again.
We would really like some help, cause she can't afford a new computer and everything seems to be working just fine otherwise...
Thank you !

#2 ·
Welcome aboard!

Try performing a Clean Boot. If everything is working fine now you can keep it this way or, you can add one Startup item and/or Service at a time until it slows down again. When it does you will have found your culprit.

#3 · (Edited)
Check temperatures.
I am very sure it is temperatures.

Download HWMonitor and check.
Anything above ~ 90c to 105c is bad for the CPU / GPU and the system will go into some kind of "emergency mode".
This will result in much lower performance, because it will try to keep the CPU / GPU below a dangerous temperature.

Now I will put as a spoiler what to do if it is really temperature problems:

If it is too hot, you need to clean the fans and reapply thermal paste.
If it is still too hot, you can undervolt by using ThrottleStop for CPU and MSI Afterburner for GPU.

Most heat problems will be solved by simply checking "Disable Turbo".
But be careful if undervolting anything!
Follow close to instructions, or watch some tutorials.

#4 ·
She's actually already using both ThrottleStop and Afterburner, we thought about temperature a while ago and she replaced the thermal paste. It was pretty high before all that but now it's never too hot.
And it's weird becauce one day she can play for hours and the next day it's horrible, without changing anything.
We're at a point where all we can do is cry for help lmao...

#9 · (Edited)
Throttling always means that something is not good balanced.
Either it is temperatures or wrong clock speeds.

Actually, I think in some computers there are overclock and underclock settings in BIOS.
I am not so sure about that, but I think something like that exists.
So check in BIOS if there are clock settings. If so, reset all BIOS settings that have to do with clock speeds.

Throttling issues are nothing that can't be fixed, and if the system is not balanced well, I think it can be manually corrected by applying better settings in ThrottleStop and MSI Afterburner (or BIOS, as I mentioned).

But it is always best to keep everything as it was by default.
I still think it has something to do with temperatures, or wrong clock speed / power balance.
An incorrectly voltage curve in Afterburner can bring exactly these problems that you describe.

It is either a temperature or clock speed - voltage balance problem, I think.
Check again all places where such things could have been manipulated.
Either it is a wrong setting by default, or some settings have been done by user (especially if bought used or refurbished), and should be corrected. Try again setting all things related to clock speeds and voltage to default.

If the problem still is not found:
Once again, check all drivers of the computer.
And by all, I mean all. Go to Settings and check for updates.
BIOS update might also be a solution, but for that please use a guide, because things can go wrong here if not done carefully.
Also check if some other software has scheduled tasks, such as an automatic virus scan, system cleanup, cloud service, etc. because things like that can also temporarily use much resources and slow the system down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.