Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a week now something strange has been happening to my computer. Instead of just getting no errors when visiting a web page like I am now, every now and then a webpage will not load (1/10 webpages), for multiple times, if I open the link multiple times in Firefox when it fails, 2 out of 7 instances of the webpage will load, and its not just like the server being down or something, but it gets the same error that a down server would (the requsted page could not be found). It's been happening with every website, like in the middle of viewing a contiuned story, or searching on Google or MSN or the BBC. I know a down website, and this has just been happening out of nowhere.

I did a little looking at my internet settings (right clicked on flashing blue icon > status), and found that my internet connection had recieved over 1000 errors in less than 1 hour and 30 minutes. I have never seen an error in recieving before, much less an error at all, and I am not sure what is causing it.

Do you know what is causing it or what should I do? It's driving me crazy...
PLEASE HELP, I am desperate.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

If this happened to be my modem, I would do the following:

Go to Start, Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager....find modem, expand it.....right click it, uninstall it. REBOOT and let it refind your modem.

When you get your computer back up, then go the same route...Start, etc.......expand on the computer area. See if there are any red or yellow marks there indicating drivers not installed. If there are red or yellow marks there, then right click UPDATE DRIVERS and see what happens. If there are no red or yellow marks, it should work as it is. Whichever of the two scenarious you need to do, It should load and work for you.

If that does not help, then post back.

P

·
0 Posts
Several reasons might be the cause. I would do a good cleaning first. My choices would be cleanup! (link provided below) , Adaware SE , SpyBot search & destroy ( these 2 are available downloads at download.com). Then I would make sure my driver for my modem is not corrupted. To ensure this I would uninstall and reinstall my modem driver. On the other hand weak connection might be the reason. You can test your connection speed at www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ If the value is too low pages would not load. Another hardware failure might be the cause too. Please post back with your questions and results.

regards.

*tumble you won this time. :)

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
PurpleSky said:
*tumble you won this time. :)
Hey Purp,

It is about time that I beat you on getting this one posted. Wanted to tell you that it was good advice that you gave, even if you are slow at typing............gotcha on that one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.