Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with my description and please lend me your knowledge:

Yesterday I recieved all my parts for my new system and so I eagerly put it all together. Although this was my first time building a system from scratch I am fairly competent and the only thing that was really new to me was mounting the CPU and the heatsink, as well as putting a motherboard into a case and attaching the wires from the case to the motherboard.

My specs are as follows:

OCZ El PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink

EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800 GTX PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 Dual DVI-I HDTV VIVO SLI Video Card

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI DDR 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E 3PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

MAXTOR DIAMONDMAX 10 300GB SATA 7200RPM 16MB 9.3MS FDB ROHS HARD DRIVE

THERMALRIGHT XP-120 S478/754/939 120MM ALUMINUM HEATPIPE COOLER

Enermax Noisetaker All In One 600W ATX12V V2.0 EPS BTX Power Supply W/ Active PFC & PCI-E SLI Ready

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core Processor

So anyway after putting everything together it powered up fine. I was greeted with the usual logo and a POST that showed that everything appeared correct. I must note that originally I had 1GB of RAM in the A1 slot and the other in the A2 slot until I read in the manual that with 2 sticks I need to put them in A1 and B1. But after doing this it only detected 1GB instead of 2 whereas it detected 2GB previously.

From here on I proceeded with just 1GB in slot B1 as instructed in the manual, so that I could rule out the possibility that my problem was with the RAM.

I pulled my old 60GB HDD from my old PC which has WinXP Pro on it. Before even hooking up the SATA HDD I tried to boot of my old HDD. After the usual POST screen and the IRQ screen I see a quick flash of a Blue Screen of Death, but i dont get enough time to read what it says. And then it restarts.

Next I tried booting into safe mode and it did the same except I didnt see the blue screen.

For some reason I got the idea to install my IDE controller in case for some reason my mobo's IDE slots were messed. After doing so I got the same results in normal mode, but I was now able to boot into safemode. However after reattaching the HDD to the mobo's IDE slot I found I could now boot in to safemode. So I guess something else in between using the IDE controller and reattaching to the mobo must have been interfering with that.

Anyway thinking it may be the HDD, even though it was working fine in my other PC I decided to unhook it and use the SATA. Now the only version of windows I have that allows for installing on a new system is Win98.

So I booted into DOS with CD-ROM support and partitioned the SATA HDD with FDisk but only gave it 4GB out of thre 300GB because I just wanted to quickly test it without waiting for it to format 300GB. So then I formated it and ran Win98 setup.

Setup seemed to run fine until after the final restart. While booting Win98 it stopped and said:

"Insufficient memory to initialize windows. Quit one or more memory-resident programs or remove unnecessary utilities from your Config.sys and Autoexec.bat files, and restart your computer."

Now another thing I noticed is that on the screen after the POST that shows your IRQs that there are many that have the same IRQ number, specifically 3,5 and 11, and about 3 devices for each. I dont know if that is normal but I am just reaching for answers now.

So please if anyone can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I am 90% sure I built the PC properly but please if you think I did something wrong then suggest anything.

Also how can I see what the Blue Screen error is since it flashes so fast? It could very well have the answer I need. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a similiar setup on my ASUS A8N-SLI PREMIUM and didn't notice any memory issues.

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Platinum System Memory Model OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

XFX PVT70FUNDE Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

3x 36GB WD Raptors, 1x 200GB Maxtor, 1x 160GB WD, 16x LiteOn DVD-R

Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS

Thermaltake Tsunami VA 3400BNA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Case - Retail

Mad Dog SurePower 600W BTX/ATX Smart Cable Power Supply

Koolance EXOS-2 (With Koolance CPU, 7800GTX water blocks. DangerDen chipset block.)

If I change the RAM setting off of AUTO and set them to the correct settings of 2-3-2-5 @ 2.6v then I get stability problems and various errors.

Multiple devices showing on the same IRQ is normal nowadays.

When you booted up with 1 stick of ram each stick showed the same exact problem while trying to load windows?

What bios version are you running and which chipset driver version?

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you have a windows with chipset drivers diferent then your actual board you are asking for troubles :4-thatsba

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Bullit: is correct !!

By the way / your system specs are fanatastic !! as soon as I wipe away the drooll I will be able to respond to your question LOL

You are asking for problems, crashes, instability when you install a boot drive whith an OS on it from another machine!! the hardware environment is so diff that the OS baulks and crashes.

In the future there is a tool called sysprep its on the Win XP & Win 2K cd that prepares the drive for a motherboard and other hardware enviornment, thats the way to fly.

I strongly advise you get yourself a Win XP "retail" version with Cerfiticate of Authencity (COA) and hopefully it will include SP-2 ~~~ if you wish to run Win XP you can get them on Ebay for about $70.00

you can also slipstream (intergrate) SP-2 to a Win XP or SP-4 to Win 2K via this program if you have a cd burner with burning software
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

you are going to have to slipstream SP-2 if you buy a XP cd that does not contain SP-2 to use your big sata drive ????? the 137 gig windows will give you fits when trying to install windows on it ?????

here is where you get SP-2 / the version that downloads to a folder as needed by slipstreaming process download the version that says "deploy to multiple computers" you cant use the single computer version becasue that will immediately intergrate the SP-2 directly into the windows system which does not accumulate the files in a folder for slipstreaming !!
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/winxpsp2.mspx

regards / joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.