Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am having a problem with net-based apps accessing the web. So far, here are the applications with which I am having trouble:

Avant Browser - will not load web pages (after 10 mins., only loaded 29% of Google.com)
Firefox - will not load web pages
MS Antispyware - will not update, stops responding, cannot shut down in Task Manager when this happens
SpywareBlaster - will not update, stops responding
Norton Firewall - stops responding when I try to add or remove programs, cannot shut down in Task Manager when this happens

One interesting note: IE works fine...

I tried uninstalling and reloading these apps, to no avail. With Firefox, I deleted profile and reinstalled, but it didn't help either. I ran spyware scans with MS Antispyware, Adware, and Spybot, and scanned with Norton Antivirus.

Also, when I try to shut down or restart, it seems to take forever.

Any clue what may be causing this to happen or how to fix it?

Thanks

WinXP SP2 Home Edition
2.4 GHZ P-4
512 MB RAM

Thanks!

·
1,438 Posts
Rerun the program access wizard in NIS
Go launch NIS, choose settings , chooose firewall, choose configure.
Then on programs tab choose program scan.
If you have a network click network tab and run the network wizard.

If this does not solve it , I would suspect a virus or trojan which has entered a host file block.

Please download
Mcafee stinger multivirus removal tool
Install and run

Spybot search and destroy
Ad aware personal form Lavasoft
Install, update,run, check for problems , fix problems .
A Squared trojan remover
Download, install, update, scan and fix.
http://www.techsupportforum.com//security-center/virus-trojan-spyware-help/inactive-malware-help-topics//15968-please-read-before-posting-hijackthis.html
First Steps at Removing Malware and Posting a HiJackThis Log
We will handle moving your thread to the HijackThis Log board at an appropriate time. Please keep your replies in this one thread so that the entire history remains for review.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
The following are the steps recommended by Geekgirl TJ

On-line Scanners
Scan your pc with both of these free online scanners:
Panda ActiveScan
Housecall. Be sure to put a check the box beside AutoClean.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download / Install / Update / and Run:
Adaware SE check for any updates before running it.
Get the plug-in for fixing VX2 variants. You can download it at this SITE
To run this tool, install to the hard drive, then open Ad-aware->Add-ons and select VX2 Cleaner. Then click Run Tool and OK to start it. If it's clean, it will say Status System Clean. Otherwise, you will have to click on the Clean button to remove the VX2 infection.

Download and install Spybot S&D . Run Spybot and click on the 'Search for Updates' button. Install any updates that are available. Next click on the 'Check for Problems' button. Let it run the scan. If it finds something, check all those in RED and hit the Fix Selected Problems button. Exit Spybot. If you keep getting the DSO Exploit entries, even after you updated Windows and fixed them, then download the Spybot DSO Exploit Fix and install it over the current Spybot installation.

Download and install: HiJackThis.

(Always create a Folder for HiJackThis anywhere but your Temp/Temporary Internet Folders or Desktop. A good place to make a folder would be in My Documents, as this is where it will save the backup files needed if there's a problem.)

Then doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Do A System Scan And Save Log". Make sure all Windows and Browsers are closed.
When the scan is finished, best to save your text file in the same folder as where you put HiJackthis.

Create a New Topic and include a fresh HJT log in HiJackThisLog Help Forum and Copy/Paste the info from your saved Hijackthis log file into your new topic.

A Moderator/ Security Team Analyst will give you instructions.

***DO NOT TRY TO FIX ANYTHING, MAJOR DAMAGE CAN BE DONE TO YOUR SYSTEM IF THIS TOOL IS USED INCORRECTLY, PLEASE WAIT FOR AN ANALYST/MODERATOR TO GIVE YOU INSTRUCTIONS***

Always describe your problem and any programs you have used to try to resolve your issue. Your description can go a long way to solving/repairing your particular issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.