Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, if this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry, this seemed to best fit my problem catagory.

I've been dealing with this for a while now, and didn't think much of it. When my computer is just sitting idle, or is doing something, I'll notice many different colored pixels around, usually on darker colors.

Thing is, they duplicate as you move the window around, whether by scrolling or dragging. They stay in that original spot until you scroll them off the screen. When my computer first turns on, none of them are visable, which makes me believe that this is caused by my GPU overheating. I'm positive this is not the monitor, as this has been happening on my last monitor as well.

And speaking of the GPU, my card is an NVIDIA (these aren't support on this site?) GeForce 7600 GT, which as of writing this, is at 152.6 F, far higher than any card should be! And I'm not even overclocking, either!

My dualcores are nearing that as well, at 125.6 F and 123.8 F, again, probably far hotter than any other processor should be.

We also opened the computer up around the start of the year, discovering a massive amount of dustbunnies, and have since moved the computer up onto the desk, off the floor. While we had it open, we reapplied thermal paste to the GPU's plate (after cleaning the old off). After all that, the temperature dropped by about 20 degrees F, and was in the 140s now, instead of the 160s, like it was before we opened it.

Slowly and steadily, the temperature has been rising back up again (as I said, it's in the 150s), and I'm beginning to worry for my computers life, as well all the things I have stored on it.

None of our other computers do this, and get no where near that hot.

The only part in the computer that was replaced was the PSU, unfortunately with a very "cordy" one (a Corsair one. I can't remember the model, though). That could also be part of the reason why it gets so hot, but it was this hot before we put the new PSU in. Also, I'm sure the voltage on the PSU is the right amount needed for my computer. Though the voltage increase caused us to have to get a new Battery Backup as well (our electric company sucks), though that's unrelated.

And also, the pixels show up when you use PrintScreen, which is another sign that it's not the monitor. This allows me to show you all what I mean easily, if you don't understand. Taken on a black page, to make them easier to be seen. Using Imageshack so you get 100% quality from it.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/6269/overheatpixels.png

And also as I said earlier, they duplicate as you scroll or move the window, which is very irritating. If you wanted to, you could actually draw a picture using this. Here's another example. Again, using Imageshack to maintain quality.
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8669/drawingpixels.png

So, does anyone have any idea how we can fix this? If you need more information on the computers specs, then this is the computer I'm using. If what you need isn't listed on the page, please tell me how I would get to it, and I'll post it.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...03&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3271568

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i'm no expert, but to me it sounds like either temperature, or bad hardware.
Do you have another videocard you try? either yours or a borrowed one?

also how cluttered is your case? if there is a wall of cables and so on then airflow may be restricted. air is supposed to flow from the front of the case to the back ideally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No, I don't have a video card I can swap out this one for.

The inside is a very cluttered mess, because of the PSU wants to be compatible with everything (a floppy cable?...really?).

I don't know if I can cut the cords off safely and still have it work. I don't think the cords can just pop off, either. Corsair are rather idiotic. Hell, trying to get the thing in, we accidently BROKE some of the pins that connect the HD DVD-ROM drive. We never used it, so we don't care.

Is there any program that can tell what PSU you're using?

Edit: Okay, I'm a dunce. You can see it from the back of the computer.

It's a Corsair TX650W. It's a jungle in my case because of it. Can cords be severed from it safely?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything in there is already tied up the best it can be.

I suppose I can take out the now broken HD-DVD drive, and stuff some of the cables in there... It's pretty ridiculous how many cables the PSU has.

Having the side off would make me a bit paranoid. We have lots of escaped crickets in our house (lots of animals), and I don't really trust the crickets to not jump onto something that will set them on fire instantly. They're pretty dumb.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i just meant to try it, to see if it works ok with the side off. that way you would know if it were a heat issue or not.
Thinking about it though, i suspect there is a hardware fault somewhere. As i said though, i'm no expert.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am not sure about g force cards (ati man myself) but depending on the manufacturer temps vary. I have 2 ati 4850's One Diamond one ATI(which is also made buy diamond) one runs Idle At 80c(176f) the other at 50c(122f) So I really don't think your temps are all that bad. My core 2 also runs around 50c(120f).

This maybe a corrupt driver which you can't always fix by re-installing the driver. I would suggest you first download driver sweeper (http://www.phyxion.net/) and install, do not run yet. Download newest driver. Uninstall your current driver. Restart. On boot up if the found new hardware wizard pops up cancel it. Run driver sweeper and clean ONLY your GPU drivers. If you have an Nvidia chipset this will also show up so don't select that. Reinstall driver. As I said I don't know much about Nvidia but ATI's software has a fan control. I set my Diamond card to 60 % and it idles at 50(122f) If this does not help like katchin said you need to test your card. Can you test your card in a friends comp?

·
Premium Member
77,999 Posts
your temps are ok post them in C

probably bad ram on the card itself can you try it in another computer to check it

blow the dust out with a can of air

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just tried the Driver Sweeper thing, and it didn't fix the pixel problem.

And my temps (as of right now) in C, is:

Processor 1: 51 c
Processor 2: 50 c
GPU: 65 c
GPU Fan: 31%

And I do not have another computer, or a friend willing to test my video card on their computer.

And if it is bad RAM on the card, is it fixable? At the current rate this is going, I'm starting to dread Vista more and more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahhh, I'm not spending any more money to add things on to this computer. I guess when it dies, it dies. I'll just make sure to keep all my stuff backed up.

Unless someone else has something else I can try.

Also, I'm leaning towards the GPU overheating again...

If I shut my computer off, go to sleep, and turn it on in the morning, the pixels won't be there until a bit later into the day (hour or two), so I'm thinking it does indeed have something to do with the temperature.

·
Banned
4,862 Posts
I don't see how reapplying thermal paste would fix a graphics problem. It might be worth doing, but I don't think it'll fix the problem.

My guess would be the GPU's RAM. Perhaps there's some problem with the card's memory that only arises if it gets too hot, perhaps the heat causing some metal piece in the RAM to expand and no longer make good contact, or make contact with something it isn't supposed to, or something like that.

Try the card in another computer and see if it does the same thing. If it does, I'd suggest getting a new card, as that one's futzed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I already applied new paste to the cards plate, it lowered the temp by 20 degrees (F) for a while, but now it's going back up.

And again, I cannot test the card in another computer.

So, the only thing I can do fix this is to get a new card? That's very lame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.