Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all.

My wife is running Xp home edition on a Dell Inspirion 1520. The computer is not recognizing the CD drive. Even when we go to "my computer" it is not shown as a "Device with removable storage" My first thought to fix this was to restore the computer to an earlier point but when I get to the calendar to set a manual restore point the arrow buttons at the top of the calendar don't allow me to select anything other than the current date. Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd start simply. Disable System Restore, reboot, then re-enable System Restore and see if that fixes the problem. Let me know if it did

Cheers.
DataMan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

That did get rid of all the restore points that had been created for the current date but I still can't select a previous date. Basically the calendar doesn't work.

Jim

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
ERm. Turning off System Restore deletes all the System Restore points. Chances are good the reason why you can' select them is because they either aren't there, or they are corrupted.

Which actually isn't relevant, because chances are very good that a system restore isn't going to fix a malfunctioning optical drive.

Navigate to Device Manager, click "show hidden devices", note and then report any flagged devices here. Uninstall the flagged devices.

If your optical drive isn't one of them, uninstall it also.

Then reboot.

During the reboot process, enter BIOS (usually by pressing the "del" key) and verify that your optical drive is recognized in BIOS. If it's not, it's a hardware problem, and nothing you do with XP will fix it.

If the drive is recognized in BIOS, and doesn't work in XP on reboot, it probably still is a hardware problem.

They go bad. Could be the cable, and you might try moving it to another IDE channel, but chances are it's just bad.

Optical drives are dirt cheap now. You can get a real high-end combo burner drive on NewEgg for about $35.00. A cheap one costs $22.00. SATA is better than IDE. Blue-Rays are still too expensive, and the blank media costs $5.00 each.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.