Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a second O/S on new partition. I want to use either Mandrake or Redhat. Which does anyone think is more user friendly for a novice to Linux? I presently use XP and will dual boot. Which is most compatable?

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Though I have not use mandrake yet I have just started using red hat 8 and I think it is extremely easy to use becuase it has alot of the simalar feel to windows. So if you are pretty proficient in windows Red hat has my vote.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello olopbob and Welcome To Tech Support Forums.............:D

I have used RedHat before and I am currently using Mandrake 9.0 (Dolphin) and I think Mandrake is much more user friendly.

I hope that after these last two posts you will not be confused on which one to choose......................:winkgrin:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I have also used both systems, they are both stable ... but if your absolutely new to the Linux OS Mandrake offers allot more wizards and things that make it easier. Now I have not yet tried Red-hat 8.0 so I don't know about that one particularly, but I know Red-hat7.3 was still a lot less user friendly than Mandrake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to try both and decide which I like. I am getting cd's for both and will put them on two partitions. I'll be using Partition Magic and trying to use minimum space. I'm just wondering if I should use full partitions or logical drives. Any ideas? I was told I couldn't have more than 4 partitions but I'll have to check my P/M manual for that and to find out if it will create virtual drives.

Wish I had better bedtime reading, but I'm sure I'll sleep well.

·
STILL Stuck in a treestand....
929 Posts
Well take it from me if you don't listen to them. They told me to try Mandrake and I did. For someone new to Linux it was very easy. I ask that same question some time back. I think you'll enjoy Mandrake.:D

·
Registered
711 Posts
I posted glossed over reviews of redhat 8.0 and mandrake 9.0 within the last couple weeks.. i say go Mandrake as its more user friendly but as I stated in my redhat review.. redhat is catching up quickly :)

·
Registered
529 Posts
I hear it's all the same.

From what I hear, Linux is Linux, though there are several distrobutions and flavors. I think Mandrake and Red Hat are both about the same flavor. I say just grab one--whichever you get your hands on first. I have Mandrake 7.2, but that's just because that's what my hands hit about a year ago. The basic stuff is easy, however you may want to keep an eye open for some of Linux's quirkyness. I am still trying to figure out how to get around those quirks. Just look at my thread "Need Help With Linux." It was right there at the top.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both versions but after re-evaluating have decided to be realistic and just install one (Mandrake). If I get that down I may try Redhat just to keep myself from stagnating this winter.

Now I just have to figure out how to get Linux to work on NTFS. I've read how but now I need to let it sink in and find the easiest way to access my files in both O/S's. I could revert to Fat 32 but have had little success since XP loves to compress hidden files. I even tried the command line prompt to uncompress all files but still didn't gain access to them all. I niether have the time nor temperment to try again unless there's a free program for that purpose.

·
Registered
711 Posts
You only have read access to files formatted using NTFS.. I think they were working on write access but its experimental and known to corrupt the file system.. as far as any Microsoft OS reading ext2/3 ect ... it just ain't gonna happen...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Botched is a nice word for what I did (or tried to do) and my being down for two days, proves it. I used a wizard to walk me through install and it placed Mandrake in front of my XP partition, something about it wouldn't work past socket 1024. I think my big mistake was labeling the Mandrake partition as active and it took over . No matter what order I set bootup I came back to Mandrake.I tried rescue disks, setting bootup in bios for cdrom, to boot to XP disk but nothing worked. As a last resort I deleted Mandrake and its boot drive completly. Then I had to move XP and all its data as well as the DISE BACKUP completly across the drive to the first primary partition C, with D as a logical in that partition. I have 39 gigs as my only other partition and it is now empty .
I would like to thank everyone for there help and If anyone sees somewhere I corrupted my install, that I haven't noticed let me know.
I need to catch up some work today but will jump back in tomorrow. If you don't hear back soon after have a chuckle on me.

By the way, the only way you can get rid of NTFS is a clean install and complete loss of everything not stored off HD1. I couldn't even install Bootmagic to change boot order because it requires Fat 32.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mandrake since they do lean towards new users of Linux.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.