Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there- Just installed my first Linux partition last week - I downloaded the ISO's for Mandrake, having tried (and given up) trying to download SUSE.

Anyway, after a spot of messing around I noticed the QT Designer, and promptly started messing around in the development environment.

I have now decided that I want to do a project using Linux and QT, but I am having difficulties - I warn you, you may have to speak slowly - I'm a Windows user.

Anyway I designed my interface, and developed the code for it, and everything seemed fine, however I needed to compile - I wanted to make some changs to the main.cpp file that is generated automaically to mess with the form borders.

When i try to compile bash reports that qmake aint there. I tried downloading the latest tars from trolltech, but I am totally stumped with what to do with them.

So basically I'm looking for some guidance as to :

1. why I can't compile, and how I can fix it (either by adding packages from the Mandrake dist cd's, or from the tar files from trolltech)

So far, I've really enjoyed the Mandrake experience - i love that i can just click on a rpm file and say "install", and it does. nice. Just feelin a little uncomfortable about the recompiling aspect of the OS.

Mike H - Mandrake Linux Newbie

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you can paste the last lines preceeding the error where gcc bails out and barfs that'll be helpful :) Also it might not be that qmake isn't installed but rather its just not in your path.

To determine your path use the following:

#>echo $PATH

see if qmake is in your path

#>which qmake

if it reports its not found or not in your path see if you can locate it manually.

#>locate qmake

found, great edit your path accordingly

Not found, if you get a slocate error as root do the following

#>updatedb

rinse and retry

You can also use find to locate the file but it may take longer

#>find / -name qmake

Found? Great edit your path.
Not found?

You may need the qt-dev packages from the Mandrake CD or you can compile from source ... To compile a generic package from source *note that you should always read the included "install or readme" file to make sure the install isn't different.

gunzip <filname.gz>
tar -xf <filename.tar>
cd <filename dir>

1../configure
2.make
3.make install
4. You're done and should be set!

Hope this helps.

Drew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried installing the source from QT dircectly - I managed to un tar it, but the make command returns error, as does the make install.

I shal attempt to capture these and post them tonight

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.