Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an opportunity to help with my sister in law's company's network. They do not have a network administrator or tech support expert, I'm attempting to fill that role. They have a prexisiting network with Windows 2003 Server managing things, and the clients pc's are Windows XP. The user accounts have a .bat script that maps the network drives and thats it. The user profiles are stored on each client pc their are no romaing profiles or mandatory netowrk profiles. I'm setting up a new computer called pm-central that will be accessed by everyone. Rather than when everyone logs on they get their own user profile with their own background, settings, etc., I want a mandatory user profile that has a set background and program shortcuts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307800

I read over that and have a have a shared folder on the server that has the user profile the way I want. I have the ntuser.dat file renamed to ntuser.man. This user profile folder is on the server and can be moved to this pm-central computer if necessary.

When I get to the "Open and Configure the User Profile Name Form" Step from that article. On users of the local computer show up, I can't add Domain Users from my domain (lsfiore.com), only users of the local computer (pm-central). Even if go into user accounts panel and add Domain Users it doesn't show up under Local Users and Groups. Only users of the computer show up, domain users aren't listed.

I only want a mandatory profile on this pc? How can I do this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got this to work

Make a User name (Test)
Log on to test
Get all the settings the way you want
Log off & log on to administrator
Navigate to C:\Documents & Settings\Test
Select all contents in folder including hidden files
Navigate to C:\Documents & Settings\Default User
Select All & delete
Then past contents from test

Works perfectly, only complaints
still makes a new profile for everyone who logs on
start menu not alphabetized,(I think this is because I used the registry trick to do it)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.