Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts
Re: Newbie/knob OS mother board question(s)

The hard drive is where all the drivers are located, so if any were downloaded for your motherboard then they will still exist when you swap the stuff over. The only problem is when you get a new motherboard, you will have the wrong drivers installed on your system - you should uninstall all motherboard drivers from your system before adding the new hardware.

Your PC isn't too power hungry, though i'd suggest a 500W/600W PSU with 19A on the 12v rail. You can see what amps are on the 12v rail by looking on the box or side of a PSU - you aren't a gamer as you said and dont have power intensive hardware, so that will do you fine.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
What is your question? Is your query different from the post you linked to?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What is your question? Is your query different from the post you linked to?
Sorry was in a hurry when I posted this. I wasn't sure which section to post in since my question may have multiple answers from different hardware sections. :4-dontkno

The question(s) is:

Hello, I am looking for support for my next new task....building a PC. Well rather I will be keeping an existing PC case/Drives (including HD)/network card. I am not a gamer, no media except maybe a web video, mainly DVD burning, HD streaming to my home theater, web browsing, Photoshop...etc, etc.

I currently have a Intel Celeron (yes laugh all you want it's 6 years old) 2.6Ghz 1 GB ram. I want to do this a cheap (inexpensive would be a better word) as possible. I have a few options in mind. 1st option is to go with a motherboard/CPU combo. I found one that will be adequate speed for my needs. It also comes loaded with 4GB rams and a CPU fan.

So my question is....what then? Will I be able to plug and play w/ my existing HD? What issues might I run into if any? Will drivers be an problem? Also for a 3.2Ghz dual core CPU running a average fan, a gigabyte card, 2 optical drives and a few USB ports what is a good wattage for my power supply? I might be upgrading that as well.

Thanks in advance.

TJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The hard drive is where all the drivers are located, so if any were downloaded for your motherboard then they will still exist when you swap the stuff over. The only problem is when you get a new motherboard, you will have the wrong drivers installed on your system - you should uninstall all motherboard drivers from your system before adding the new hardware.

Your PC isn't too power hungry, though i'd suggest a 500W/600W PSU with 19A on the 12v rail. You can see what amps are on the 12v rail by looking on the box or side of a PSU - you aren't a gamer as you said and dont have power intensive hardware, so that will do you fine.

Thanks.

A few more question though:

You say un-install any motherboard drivers b4 upgrade. Do I do this through device manager? Also I would assume when I do this I would I have installed any drivers (to my hard drive) for the new motherboard. Then I would shut'er down and swap the mother board/CPU and what then? I am a bit confused here; how will my PC be able to work if I un-install my drivers for the mother board? If I have the drives on my hard drive would the motherboard know what to do...I would assume because it is the "motherboard" it would need to work for I would be able to boot properly. :4-dontkno

Any good resource you know of w/ instructions would be appreciated. The company I am purchasing from stated in there listing (ebay) that no instructions are included. They did state they would assist w/ any install problems...but you can never be to sure.

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, it depends on the make and model of your already existing drives/card, you'd have to find a combo that matches up with the pin numbers and make sure they're compatible. ...and if the drivers are 6 years old, like the cpu, then it might limit alot of the choices that you might be able to make. (I'm not sure about that, I defer to the people with experience on that sorta stuff. :p I'm still learning. )

·
TSF Enthusiast
914 Posts

Thanks.

A few more question though:

You say un-install any motherboard drivers b4 upgrade. Do I do this through device manager? Also I would assume when I do this I would I have installed any drivers (to my hard drive) for the new motherboard. Then I would shut'er down and swap the mother board/CPU and what then? I am a bit confused here; how will my PC be able to work if I un-install my drivers for the mother board? If I have the drives on my hard drive would the motherboard know what to do...I would assume because it is the "motherboard" it would need to work for I would be able to boot properly. :4-dontkno

Any good resource you know of w/ instructions would be appreciated. The company I am purchasing from stated in there listing (ebay) that no instructions are included. They did state they would assist w/ any install problems...but you can never be to sure.

TJ
Hey,

I found this link for you; http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

By the way, in many instances you dont need any pre-installed software (except Windows of course) such as chipset drivers for the computer to operate, you just won't get what you normally would out of the computer.

You shouldn't put your old HDD in when you add the new motherboard, otherwise things could get a bit sticky. If you have any further questions feel free to reply and i'll answer asap.

Nick.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The best method, to assure the least problems after the transfer, is to wipe the HDD and install the OS and Mobo drivers after the build is done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Hey,

I found this link for you; http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

By the way, in many instances you dont need any pre-installed software (except Windows of course) such as chipset drivers for the computer to operate, you just won't get what you normally would out of the computer.

You shouldn't put your old HDD in when you add the new motherboard, otherwise things could get a bit sticky. If you have any further questions feel free to reply and i'll answer asap.

Nick.
Thanks again.

Another thing I just thought of; I am very unclear of what makes a system 32 bit vs. 64 bit. And I am not looking for an explanation...but am curious if this is something I need o consider if I currently am running a 32 bit system with XP Home edition. I assume the "motherboard" is what determines the amount of bits...or am I way off?

TJ

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
The OS determines the Bits. Most, if not all, modern CPU's are 64Bit capable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.