Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, sorry I didn't really know where to put this topic, there didnt seem to be anything involving movies + dvd's..

Anyways, heres my question....

I bought a bunch of episodes of my favorite tv show off of iTunes. What I want to know is....what software is there available that will let me make a menu for a dvd and play my movies as if it were a store-bought dvd box set?

I'm downloading about 2 seasons worth of episodes, and each episode is between 170-200 mb each. So I could just use Nero and burn them all as data, but then I'd only be able to watch them on my computer. I remember vaguely having some software on my computer that would allow me to make DVD menus, but i cannot remember it

Basically, I want to take all the episodes, burn them onto a DVD-R, and make a menu system so they are accessible and playable on my DVD player.

If anyone can name software that can accomplish this, please post it! I will be thankful for any advice.

And again, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure as to which forum I would post it in.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions!

Killa

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nero can make menus. Can't Nero covert the files to dvd?
probably can, Nero > all the rest, but then again I don't wanna waste a dvd-r just experimenting....id rather have a set number of steps to follow...

Nero can burn a single file as a DVD, but I don't know how well it will support multiple episodes burned as single file...if that were the case I'd have to watch the whole season in one sitting!

Anyways, if I get more responses hopefully I can find a solution, but if not I will just end up burning them onto DVD's just for an archive purpose, and make a DVD w/ menu system later on.

Thanks again guys,
Killa

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
I bought a bunch of episodes of my favorite tv show off of iTunes. What I want to know is....what software is there available that will let me make a menu for a dvd and play my movies as if it were a store-bought dvd box set?
What you want is called "DVD Authoring Software".

I use a program called "VSO ConvertX to DVD" which will take DivX files and convert them to the ._TS format used by standard DVD players (like what you would normally have in your Living Room). But I don't know what format your iTunes video is in, so I can't say how well this particular program will work for you.

There are MANY of these kinds of programs, all have their own special "niche" and you are not going to find the right one for you by "trial and error".

The "up-side" for your situation is (you need to believe this and repeat it as often as necessary) is that you are not unique and that there are (and have been) many other people in your exact situation.

ll you need to do is find out what they did/are doing and you'll be fine.

I recommend that you look in another forum, one that has as it's almost exclusive focus issues relating to computer sound & video, afterdawn.com.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/

Do some searches including the text "iTunes" and "author" and "dvd" and I am sure eventually you'll start to find some hits for software.

The other thing I have learned is that there is almost-always a "best" software, so don't jump on the first flea-bitten suggestion. Take it and then ask around, comparing it to everything else. Usually you will find a consensus, that a certain program is best-suited for your particular needs. This will then save you loads of time and trouble in various ways, and you'll be less likely to have to spend time learning to use software that you ultimately abandon in favor of something else.

In short, do it right the first time.

Girder

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for your advice Girderman

The videos were in the .mp4 format, but I had them converted to .mpeg for quicker viewing and compatibility w/ Media Player Classic, and the mp3 player I have isn't an iPod (its a Sandisk Sansa) and it puts videos on my player in .mov format, so I'll end up doing some conversions for that too.

Thanks for finding that link to the other forum. I didn't really know what keywords to search for when finding a forum for video editing and such. I'll look around, see if anything is of use on that forum.

Obviously I agree with you about the trial and error. I'm not going to waste hours and many DVD-R's just doing trial and error with different software. If I get one software, I need to know that it works. If it's worth it, easy to use, and not as pricy, I'll even buy it for making DVD's in the future.

Again thanks for your help, its good to see that someone as well-informed as yourself uses his time to help others on this forum.

Thanks again,
Killa
What you want is called "DVD Authoring Software".

I use a program called "VSO ConvertX to DVD" which will take DivX files and convert them to the ._TS format used by standard DVD players (like what you would normally have in your Living Room). But I don't know what format your iTunes video is in, so I can't say how well this particular program will work for you.

There are MANY of these kinds of programs, all have their own special "niche" and you are not going to find the right one for you by "trial and error".

The "up-side" for your situation is (you need to believe this and repeat it as often as necessary) is that you are not unique and that there are (and have been) many other people in your exact situation.

ll you need to do is find out what they did/are doing and you'll be fine.

I recommend that you look in another forum, one that has as it's almost exclusive focus issues relating to computer sound & video, afterdawn.com.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/

Do some searches including the text "iTunes" and "author" and "dvd" and I am sure eventually you'll start to find some hits for software.

The other thing I have learned is that there is almost-always a "best" software, so don't jump on the first flea-bitten suggestion. Take it and then ask around, comparing it to everything else. Usually you will find a consensus, that a certain program is best-suited for your particular needs. This will then save you loads of time and trouble in various ways, and you'll be less likely to have to spend time learning to use software that you ultimately abandon in favor of something else.

In short, do it right the first time.

Girder

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.