Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently been trying to fix the "File corrupt or missing: windows\system32\config\system" problem. I've been to microsoft and gotten the documentation I need. Everything should be ok right? Right? Wrong.

I can't get into the recovery console. It asks me which partition I want (1: E:\Windows), so I type 1 and press enter....and it locks up. It's almost as if the hard drive just shuts off. My HD used to make that clicking noise, which I found out was associated with not enough power, but now it doesn't. If you want to know, I have a 120GB Matrox (which holds the C: drive @ approx. 600MB and only has the boot files, and the E: drive @ approx. 117GB which has XP installed and ALL OF MY STUFF) and a 40GB Western Digital (98SE which I'm using now). The 120 GB Matrox is the master, of course.

This never happened before. My hard drive did recently start to make the clicking noise though, but the error didn't come up and XP loaded just fine.

Anyways, if ANYONE knows of ANY WAY to get into the recovery console without it locking up, or at least get my data from the E: drive, PLEEEEASE reply. I have VERY important files which I was going to backup this weekend on there, and I CANNOT lose them.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you want to low-risk way, I'd install XP on another drive and jumper the second one as a slave, then read the data files you need. Screwing around with recovery console at this point may do more damage than it's worth.

I'm curious as to how you ended up with the O/S installed on E:, not exactly a standard configuration. :D

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I agree. If you don't have anything important on the Win98 hard drive, then reformat that one with XP as 98 cannot read hard drives written in NTFS, which is what you probably have with your larger hard drive unless you upgraded that from 9x.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It keeps locking up whenever it tries to access the E: drive with XP on it...even during installation when it looks for previous versions of windows. I guess I'm going to have to use one of the alternatives that you suggested. I just hope they work.

:upset:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need the following files:

NTFS.SYS: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
NTOSKRNL.EXE: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
AUTOCHK.EXE: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\autochk.exe
NTDLL.DLL: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\ntdll.dll
C_437.NLS: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\c_437.nls
C_1252.NLS: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\c_1252.nls
L_INTL.NLS: this file is located at <winnt>\system32\l_intl.nls

If anyone could get me these, please send them to me as soon as possible. Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I found that the only thing I could do was install a copy of windows 2000 that was just laying around. Fortunately, I salvaged ALL of my files. Tomorrow I will format the drive and start over with a fresh install of XP. Thanks again.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you got your data files off, consider yourself lucky. :) You need to consider periodic backups in the future, and don't forget the imaging software to make backups of your working environment when you get it all sorted out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.