Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, major problem here

A while ago, I had installed AVP2, and apparently didn't uninstall it correctly, now I want to install it again, however upon running the setup utility, the splash screen appears, and it first attempts to remove the previously uncorrectly installed copy, it claims the process is finished, however, each time I attempt to install the program the same thing occurs.

The program is also listed in the add/remove programs list in XP, but cannot be removed from there either, any help? Ideas how to fix this?

I think it has everything to do with the registry entries left over from my stupid and dirty uninstall, but my PC knowledge isn't very good, so help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AVP2 Problem

I dont have it installed, but I have had the same problem a few times before. This isn't a sure fire way to solve your problem, but it might work. Plus, if you feel that your knowledge isn't sufficient, rather dont follow the steps I have to suggest. It sounds like you have some knowledge, so enter the regedit, and open up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Open Software and search for the software company that distributes the game. Delete all keys that refer to AVP2. Note that this is dangerous. If you accidentaly delete the wrong key, you might damage your system. Also check in program files, the folder might still be present there. Be carefull here aswell, for obvious reasons.

You can always reinstall Windows XP. :laugh:
It really is a good practise. I work with PC's for a living, and to be totally honest, my PC is always on, and I reinstall it every 2 Months. Hope I helped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunatly...

I did what you suggested, and can no longer find any refrence to the program in the registry anywhere (not to say there arn't any, as I'm only moderatly knowledgeable in these things), and unfortunatly it didn't work =(

Thanks anyway, unless someone else has a solution, I'll prolly have to bite the bullet and reinstall (And see about this "Ghost" thing my friends are always mentioning.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Blacksheep is correct as far as the registry goes but you're probably not looking in the right places. It can be very difficult to find keys in the registry if you don't know what you're looking for - I would guess that your best bet would to try an AVP2 specific forum either at AVP2Files.com or Planet AVP (there may be others) as they're likely to have more game specific knowledge.

Also, reinstalling XP won't necessarily solve your problem (although it may) unless you install it after a reformat or you install it in a new folder. A fresh install over the top of your current settings may well keep some older registry information - you may be putting yourself through a fair amount of work for no reason...

Tinribs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.