Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just wanted to ask a couple of things.
when one of my computers came back from the repair shop, it suddenly just wouldn't keep the time. I thought maybe the semos(sorry if I have that spelled wrong) battery might have been dead, but after the battery was changed, the pc still wouldn't keep the time.
on my other computer(laptop), ChkDsk won't run(I type ChkDsk c:/f/r at the command line, say yes to schedule and then restart the computer and the disk check wouldn't run.
I also can't get disk defragmenter to run(diskeeper pro).
my other problem is after I boot up, one of the applications(jaws for windows, which I need running in order for me to use the computer) takes far longer than normal to start up.
It runs as a service which should normally be up and running before logon, assisting the user with logging on. for some reason, it takes 5 minutes or so more than it should to start up.
if anyone can answer any of this, can you please let me know?
Thanks.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Are you by chance using Zone Alarm v5? There is a problem between this program and chkdsk. Uninstall that and see if it cures your problem.

If your system is using dial-up internet, you might want to try synchronizing your time manually.

Connect to the internet
Right-click the time display in the system tray area and choose ‘Adjust Date/Time
Select the ‘Internet Time’ tab
Ensure the ‘Automatically Synchronise’ check box is ticked, and click on the ‘Update now’ button.

If your system has an ‘always on’ broadband internet connection, you can automate the process by changing the set interval between updates.

Open up the registry editor by choosing Start -> Run -> Regedit
Find the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\
Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
Select the entry for ‘SpecialPollInterval’ and change the decimal value to a period of time you wish to use. The data value is in seconds, so for example, a value of 172800 will change the synchronization interval to 2 days, a value of 86400 will change it to 1 day, or a value of 3600 will change it to one hour.
Exit from the Registry Editor, and ensure the ‘Automatically synchronise’ option is ticked for your system clock settings. (Be sure you use ‘Apply’ when you’ve finished making changes to the time setting box for the system clock, so the change there is a permanent one.)

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm cureous to know why it can't keep the time on it's own(give it a day and it could be 5 days behind!)
I'm a little worried because the last thing my first laptop did before dying was that it stopped keeping time. that was just a week before the night that I shut it down, never to be able to boot it up again.
speeking of that old Hunk-of-junk machine(128 mb ram, 12 gb harddrive, can't remember the processer speed but I think it was 700 mhz):
days after it died, I took it to a tech to have files recovered from it. he took the my documents folder(which just happened to have nothing in it), the program files directory(useless?) and the c:\documents and settings\>account name> directory(nothing usefull there accept for a fiew things on my desktop).
what he didn't realize is that my computer is the most disorganized thing you will ever see. everything on my computer that is mine is sitting loose on the c: drive. he took the 2 or 3 directories there, but mist the 300 or so loose files.
it's been a year now and that person has gone out of business because of his inabilities to do what customers want the correct way.
Where do you recommend I take this thing to get this done(or can I do it myself)? how much does it cost?

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

I honestly can't tell you why the drive wouldn't keep time other than the CMOS battery being bad. That battery's job is to hold the time and all of your CMOS settings. You could let a computer sit for about a year unplugged and that battery should still have a little bit of life left and the time should still be good. Windows, while booting, will check it's clock against the hardware clock (BIOS) and set the time. Windows will also check the time against a more accurate atomic clock. The little fix I gave you goes on the internet and synchronizes it against the atomic clock. The only other reason the mobo wouldn't keep the time after a new CMOS battery is if the mobo (motherboard) is going bad itself. They usually will crap out after a few years unless you keep EXTREMELY good care of it. I've seen some last almost a decade.

Did you check to see if you have Zone Alarm on your computer? That will keep you from running chkdsk. If you do have it, uninstall it.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never used zone alarm, so I know it's not on my computer. I use sygate personal firewall on one machine and just the windows firewall on the other.
what would stop diskeeper from running?
and does anyone have an answer to my earlier post regarding file recovery from my old computer, who's harddrive still runs, bit the machine won't boot. the person who tried to recover files just read the harddrive on another computer.
about the motherboard on my machine that won't keep time, around this time last year, my computer was hit with a power serge which aparently took out the board, the cpu, the power supply and the ram. those components were replaced and the computer worked again, still running the windows 2000 system that was installed on it at the time.
there were a few things wrong though, one of which aving to do with the USB ports in the front of it not working. some said we were missing drivers, some said hardware issues.
Our OS got corrupted a fiew months later, so we took the machine in again. the person was able to install windows xp without losing any of the personal files on our machine.
the USB ports in the frunt don't work and now it doesn't keep the time. the USB issue is a real big one for me---the back of the computer is a mess---so that, pluss my inability to see = impossible to plug in my flash drive.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

I didn't realize you had a question about your hard drive that failed and you want recovered. It sounded like a rant more than anything. Anyway, you said that one of your computer got a power surge and you replace the motherboard, processor, RAM and PSU... why not the HDD? This could explain why some files might be missing or corrupt and explain some issues you're having. The hard drive could be deteriorating and that would explain new issues you're having. This happened to a friend of mine and the hard drive failed him soon thereafter. There are good data recovery programs out there. If you go into the tips and tricks forum, there is a whole slew of them in there. Find one you like, you will most likely have to purchase it, and run with it.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I may have explained myself incorrectly.
the only issues with the serged computer are the usb ports in the frunt not working(ones in the back still work though) and the time issue.
the situation with the computer I need files recovered from is this:
the harddrive still works(though it's got a small amount of bad secters), but the computer itself won't power up. that laptop took so much damage that the screan is very near the point of falling off, and pressing the power switch does nothing.
when the harddrive was removed and put into another computer, the person was able to read files from it;but he missed most of them.
he went out of business because of problems that customers had with him(myself included), and I don't know how to get these files off that machine since I don't have any tools that will allow me to put that old machine's harddrive into another working computer.
and one more question.
I'm trying to find some place on here where it would be rellivent to ask VB questions. is there anywhere on this site where I can ask questions about VB?

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hi,

Chances are the USB ports in the front got fried as well. You can probably buy replacements from the OEM, or elsewhere online.

If the hard drive is fried on the laptop, it uses a different connection method than the standard IDE you see today. You have to get an adapter that will connect the laptop HDD to a PC. Once you get that, you need a data recovery program. You can go to the tips and tricks portion of this website (from the home page) and you can find a thread that deals with data recovery. There you will find data recovery programs, some free and some that you have to pay for. If you pay for them, you'll have more services than with the free ones.

I believe there is a thread on programming that you can ask VB questions. By VB I'm assuming you mean Visual Basic, right?

Regards,

Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.