Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a question about maintaining a domain controller. I currently serve as the IT Director for a small organization part time. We've never had a domain setup, but in my full time job I utilize AD and my agency has several domain controllers but we also have around 50,000 devices.

In my part time Director role I administer around 20 to 30 devices. The main reason I want to setup a domain is for group policy and administering the security of device from one location. Currently I try to change all passwords on a 90 day basis and this is difficult to do on 30 devices. I like the idea of pushing policies to restrict what my users can and can't do, but I don't know if this is enough of a reason to setup a domain.

My question is, once the server is setup, the domain configured and the devices joined, how hard is it to maintain? I know other IT professionals who run small domain environments and you never really hear anything about the controllers. I just wondered if they kind of run their selves or if there's a lot of up keep and maintenance on them.

Thanks!

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,169 Posts
The initial setup can really be painful, especialy if you're doing it alone, once it's setup, as long as you stay away from intrusive or complex GPOs you should be fine..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The initial setup is what I was worried about. I've installed the OS, I've configured AD and then started working with DNS / DHCP and thats usually when I stop. On my network we have a SonicWALL that handles DHCP and DNS and I hate messing with it. We've also got several vendor supported devices that have static addresses and the rest is DHCP.

As far as GPO's, I wouldn't be doing anything crazy. Honestly the main reason for even wanting the domain setup is to force password changes every 90 days and maybe do a little with folder shares, but that's it.

The initial setup can really be painful, especialy if you're doing it alone, once it's setup, as long as you stay away from intrusive or complex GPOs you should be fine..

·
Moderator , Windows Tech Team , Hardware Tech T
Operating Systems || Hardware || Most Tech Stuff
3,169 Posts
My apologies for the delay chris, I've been tied down with my regular work, As an admin it offers more flexibility and control to you when going with the domain setup. As long as you exclude the static IPs from your scope, you should be ok. But it's good to use the vacation time to build the domain and slowly start migrating users in batches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts