Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was upgrading my pc, and tried to pull a screw out with a magnet to remove the hard drives. Since then the computer doesn't boot. I reinstalled windows and it does copy the instalation files, but on the reboot the bios says that there's an error reading the hard drive. I have run several utilities available in hiren's boot cd, and even tried a low level format tool, but none of them seems to work. so, my question is: a magnet causes irreparable damage on a hard drive? i think the surface is ok, since several tools said that, but hdd regenerator sometimes fin about 900 bad sector in 1000 sectors, and sometimes, doesn't find anything. i've reseted the mbr. do i really have to buy another? i had my thesis there :S.. thanks anyway

update: after a lot of internet, i found that a magnet could not erase the disc, but i can't find if it would do anything to other components.

·
Registered
374 Posts
First of all, NEVER USE MAGNETS NEAR HARD DRIVES!. Second, no it should not cause irreparable damage to the drive. It will only erase/corrupt your data. However, something could have shorted during the process of removal/reinstallation. Try downloading and running drive diagnostic utilities for the manufacturer of your hard drive. These are available for free at manufacturer's site. Was the low level format tool from the HDD manufacturer or a third party? Sounds like the drive is corrupted, but may be salvageable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i wanted to change cabinet and yes, i tried on dos , still doesn't work... i guess i'll try every program in the hiren's cd and a diferent windows (maybe an unattended version)... i'm running out of ideas :sigh:

·
Registered
374 Posts
i wanted to change cabinet and yes, i tried on dos , still doesn't work... i guess i'll try every program in the hiren's cd and a diferent windows (maybe an unattended version)... i'm running out of ideas :sigh:
You tried on dos? Did you low level format in dos? This app. usually takes about 8-12 hours to run. I am talking about the factory recertification utility. Is this what you used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Si, creo k ya me estoy resignando a ke mi disco duro ya cumplio su lapso de vida... de todos modos, gracias por la ayuda... si a alguien se le odurre algo milagroso, ke me avise :__;

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about my last post... i'm kind of frustrated... anyway, it seems that i finally know what's going on, mi hard drive has irreversible damage (error 0120) and there's nothing i can do, so i better check for new hard drives :S, thanks anyway

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
Considering there are two pretty potent rare earth magnets inside the drive enclosure right next to the platters to power the voice coil that moves the heads, magnetism at most home magnet levels will not cause any damage. Degausing a drive takes a pretty potent EMField.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.