Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gigabyte G31M-ES2L ver.1 motherboard with a quad core 9400 processor. I wanted a larger hard drive to upgrade to windows 7 but Vista did not see the hard drive and so couldn't install Vista on it. I tried installing XP, and got much further than with Vista. It saw the hard drive, allowed me to partition and format it, and began what looked like a successful install. I tried this three times. Each time it froze, once at 22 minutes left, once at 19 minutes left (that time I got a bsod), and once at 28 minutes left. Since the drive was formatted I tried Vista again. It did see the drive, but froze at "expanding files"...once at 62% and once at 72%. I've been swapping two drives; a WD 640 gb and a Seagate 500gb. Both are sata drives and I've had the same trouble with both. Both are brand new. My old, small disk with Vista on it (its almost full) had been working ok, but is running out of space, which is why I started this project to begin with.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Did you disconnect the old drive before attempting to install Vita on the new drive?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could not partition the drive using vista. When I tried to intall xp I did partition and format the drive. Prior to trying xp I wiped out all data using Killdisk. I had no other drives connected. My machine has a quad core 9400 processor and a gigabyte G31M-ES2L ver.1 motherboard. I have 4 gigabytes of ddr2 ram.

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
I've seen similar issues caused by faulty RAM. If you have multiple sticks installed, try removing all but one and see if XP will install.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
if you can use the ram using vista then the ram may not be faulty. Download memtest86 burn it to disk and boot from that disk. memtest will tell you if there is something wrong with the ram. Let it run for a couple of full passes (usually takes an hour for 1 complete pass).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.