Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Macbook won't complete startup...won't go past white screen

94K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  macthorough 
Sorry to jump on here but I'm having a similar issue and no sense starting a new thread.
I've got a late 08 Macbook Pro alu.
The problem started 2 weeks ago when I installed the combi update for 10.5.8.
After installation my mac would only go so far as the white logo screen and nothing further.
I've inserted the OSX disc and held 'C' when booting but it wont load the disc, I've tried selecting the CD from the options when I hold the Options (alt) button but nothing, it just gets stuck at the logo screen and the disc spins down.
I've got a time machine backup that I can restore from but I cannot get to that option.
I've got a boot camp XP partition that works fine but alas my much treasured OSX install might as well be Windows 3.1 for all it helps.

I've tried removing the Applications Enhancer by booting into single user mode (CMD+S) but even when thats loading it gets stuck on some 'Loading Kernel' and I cant get to the actual prompt.

I've tried everything I can think of.
Any onther ideas would be greatly appretiated.
Thanks

Okay, did you let the update finish all the way? This update should of restarted your Mac 2 or 3 times before you see the desktop, and some of those restarts could take several minuets. Once my G4 desktop finished the visible download and install, it took it over 10 minutes before I was at my desktop again. If it was interrupted durning any of those, it could wreak havoc on the system. Have you tried selecting the OS X install DVD from your Boot Camp drive?
Yeh I let it run for an hour or so, it restarted the machine and i left it but got impatient after a while, previous updates had done the same thing, 10.5.6 especially and I'd left that to run overnight with no change, so I rebooted.
I've tried running the OSX install from my Boot Camp OS but it wont let me, then when I try boot off the OSX install dvd it stalls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.