Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gf is wants a new laptop but is wanting to go with a Mac. Is there an advantage to having a Mac vs a PC laptop? I think the style/look of the Macs is whats drawing her. All my experiences are with PC's so if anything ever happend to a Mac, if she got one, I wouldn't know the first thing on how to fix it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depends what you wanting to do. Graphic designing, web designing is more MAC based plus in my opinion a MAC is more reliable (no error messages, well hardly) then again its more for creative peeps ( in my opinion) BUT then again it can allow you to use Windows as well :)

If it's for your girlfriend and she is not PC intriquite then i would say go for a MAC

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am going to purchase a laptop for my grandson who will be going off to college where his first couple of years will be devoted to general studies. He has always used a Windows based PC and I doubt his technical skills are very advanced. His high school work consisted mostly of word and power point documents, and one course where web design was part of the curriculum.

One of the things we were told in a parent’s college prep meeting was that we should purchase on-site service for computer along with a replacement/insurance policy. This runs the cost of a laptop almost up to $2000.00 which I am willing to spend if it will last him for his full 4 years. But now, he has complicated my search, he seems to think that he wants a Mac (personally, I think he is of this mind due to their great job of marketing to college kids). I have tried to look at them online but I am not familiar with them and don’t really understand how to compare to a PC. The other issue is that I can’t find where they offer a replacement policy, and they don’t do on-site service, so I am not comfortable with that. The other issue I have is that this is first year in college, his first time to live away from home, there will be adjustments for him that I am sure I haven’t even considered so should he be learning a new computer system at this time? I have always heard that Macs are more expensive but since I don’t know what I am looking at I don’t have a cost comparison. I saw one for about $1400 but I have no idea if it will be sufficient for his needs. One other point, he has never used a laptop before but I don’t know if that is anything to consider in determining the type of computer.

I hope I have explained my dilemma well enough to illicit some suggestions from posters here. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok my money vaule is rands but i would say for a decent MAC you looking at about $1500 at least however a MAC is cheaper to maintain the a Windows based PC.

MACS are more reliable and in my opinion their support is greater than others.

If you purchasing a PC for your son and your son is not looking for anything specific i would say go for a Windows based PC (you can get a awesome Windows based PC for a cheaper price then a standard MAC) and still have knowledge of the Windows PC weather its basic knowledge or not. You need to look at the long term benefits.

Is your son going to benefit more from a MAC or Windows based PC over 3/4 years ?

However, if he is looking for something specific like web designing or graphic designing or photography then the MAC is the best option in that department.

If he's looking merely for something to note on a daily basis (Microsoft office) then obviously Windows. I guess it boils down to what he will do with the PC on a daily/Weekly basis

Dont only take my opinion though, im bias :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Macs are very appealing, however for a first-time college student I suggest a windows-based pc. The cost difference is significant as well. I'm not a Mac expert by all means and am in a sort of a dilemma as well. I have a 17" Toshiba laptop with all the bells and whistles that roughly cost me $1000 on sale. Now compare that with a Mac that typically start at $1500+/- and its probably a base model. Going into the 15" models your looking at almost $2000. I've been a PC user since the start of AOL and have always used windows pc's. I've built PC's and laptops. I've stuck with windows because I feel its the standard. Not one company I've worked for used Macs. Now even though I'm a windows fan doesn't mean I'm counting Mac out. I may persuade my gf to get the Mac so I can use and learn it. But for a first-time college student, $1500 is way too pricey for a base model. That is why you can get laptops for $400 now. Like I told my sister while she was in school, get top-of-the-line when you need it not because you want it. Turns out when she graduated, she got a Mac.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.