Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am fairly new to the world of macs so it would be great if anyone could give me some advice...

Im looking to set up a wired network in my home office between:

4x Mac Mini OS X version 10.4.11 (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - 1 GB 667 MHz)
1x External Hard drive
1x Internet router
1x Printer

As far as I am aware I just have to buy:

7x Belkin RJ45 high-performance category 6 UTP Patch cable
1x Apple 8-port Gigabit Desktop Switch

From what I have read online all I have to do is connect all the components to the hub via the Ethernet cables then set settings for file sharing and printing. From the guides I have read it seem fairly straight forward and I wont need any additional hardware or software.

If anyone has any advice I would be grateful. Tips from experience of doing this would also be great.

Thanks for the help

Ant

·
Macintosh Methodology Wizard - TSF Retired
13,608 Posts
Apple doesn't make any network switches, so you have me with that one, but yes, if your router is set up correctly, plug it's LAN port into the WAN port of the switch if it has one, else into port 1 and everything else into the other ports and all should work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry it was from the apple store but it was the:

Netgear's GS608 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch

Do I need a different cable for the router then? Or is it the same as the hard drive, macs and printer?

Thanks

·
13,608 Posts
All the same cables. Switches these days, as well as the Macs, should be smart enough to know which mode to be in to work. You no longer need to worry about patch or crossover cables. Just get 7 CAT-5 cables and you'll be set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

One last thing...the ports are all ethernet port but the external drive and printer are USB...does that mean I need adapters or do I plug them into one computer and have them all running off that one computer?

Will that slow down the computer too much?

Also can I connect wireless networks to the wired network aswell?

Thanks for all the help

·
13,608 Posts
You need a wireless router for the wireless stuff, and most also do wired, so if your router isn't wireless, then you'll need to get one that is. Also, they make routers that have USB ports on them for things like printers and hard drives. There are also adaptors that let you plug USB into networks, but I have never used one. Plugging it into a computer is another option, and for printing, works just fine. For the hard drive on the other hand, depends on how much you use it. If it is just to get a file or two every now and again, it will be fine. But if it's for media or backups, having it plugged into a computer and shared is a bad idea, as it'll be really slow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.