Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just upgraded my cable modem (NTL). After the upgrade, I got redirected to the final page and it shows a list of detail (username, password, Ethernet or MAC address of the cable modem and something else.

I noticed that I have still the same speed as before the upgrade. Does that mean I have to change my MAC address to the new one that provided from that page? I checked my router's IP page and found the MAC address but it shows different. So I have to change the address?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
You can't change MAC addresses, they are built into the hardware. If everything is working I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But why do I still get the same speed? I upgraded and still not having any better speed

Why does the page on NTL website show a mac address of the cable while i have a different mac address?

·
7,738 Posts
Well, your modem will have a MAC address. Your network interface card (NIC) will have a MAC address. And if you have a router, it will also have a MAC address.

I'm not sure why your speed is still the same. Was the new modem supposed to increase bandwidth? Typically the modem is not the limiting factor, but rather the cap they put on the modem (which is done with software and can be changed without replacing the hardware).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, your modem will have a MAC address. Your network interface card (NIC) will have a MAC address. And if you have a router, it will also have a MAC address.

I'm not sure why your speed is still the same. Was the new modem supposed to increase bandwidth? Typically the modem is not the limiting factor, but rather the cap they put on the modem (which is done with software and can be changed without replacing the hardware).
That's weird. Long time ago, I installed the software for NTL on my old PC. But since i built a new PC, I threw old PC away and now using new PC, when i plugged the modem's eternet cable to my PC, I automatically connected internet O_O without installing the software... what the hell happened to that old software? Do I have to install the software again?

I don't have a new modem, still using the old one.

·
7,738 Posts
The software is not neccessary. I'm not sure about your ISP, but the software that was sent by my ISP was specifically so that the ISP would have my modem's MAC address. Often when you first connect your modem you have to install the software, or alternatively you can call your ISP and read them the information off the modem itself. The last 2 times I moved I had to call the info in because the software they sent me didn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.