Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:angry2: Ok...I do this for a living, so you can imagine my embarassment...suffice it to say, I feel like a complete moron, and I am sure my issues are strictly menial. The problem is most likely so simple, that even I can't figure it out !

Anyway, I have an M830L (
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/product/M830Lv31b.html ), and the onboard video card has two MALE ports. So, how the hell am I supposed to SEE ? I have a perfectly good Radeon 7000 I can throw in it, but if I can't disable the onboard video in the BIOS, how can I use it ? *duh* I have never seen an onboard without a female port. Am I missing something here ?

I tried to buy some sort of female adapter, to no avail.

So, please spare me travesty of calling me an idiot, and point out what simple aspect I am missing to this equation.

--------------------------

I am also having issues with the jumpers. I followed the diagram that came with the motherboard, and the system won't stay booted for longer than 10 seconds, before it shuts off. I can only get it to boot when the RESET jumper is plugged in to the power section of the board. *** ?!!! HELP !

(is it my case ? I have a server tower, and the motherboard fits in it, so I would assume that this means the case is a standard ATX Form Flow)

I am using a 400W power supply, which has been approved for the AMD K7 (which is what I have), so the power issue doesn't seem to be originating from that.

---------------------------

Assistance will be GREATLY appreciated !

Helixx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok...the simple answer has finally come to me. This motherboard has been sitting collecting dust for 4 months now...because Best Buy was too stupid to carry the right adapter !!

I needed a DB9 Female/Female...problem solved.

--------------------------------

Still need some ideas on the boot issue.

THANKS !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon...someone out there has to have a suggestion on this boot issue.

Anyone know where I can see jumper setting diagrams ?

Thanks.

Helixx ~

S

·
0 Posts
Is there a wire that comes from the on off button on the front of the case that can plug onto the motherboard header that your reset button is attached to?.............:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. I have tried clearing the CMOS many times...when I put the power lead (wire from the button on the front of the case) onto the designated power jumpers, it won't start up at all. But when I put the RESET lead onto the power jumpers, it boots, but only for a short time, and then it dies again.

In order to start over, I have to completely remove the power from the MB, and clear the CMOS. Otherwise, it won't boot at all AGAIN.

Does this make any sense ???

Thanks, man.

Helixx ~

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the button on the front of the case might be out of whack. If you have a continuity tester stick one probe into each of the holes in the black plastic piece then try the button. It should give you a momentary connection. I have had these get stuck on me before.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, SPEEDO, you seem to be the man right now, so I will tell you the good/bad news. I SOLD THAT ATX case. I determined, just as you said, that the button was faulty somehow, though I don't know in what way, exactly. I bought a new case, which came with a brand new 420W power supply, put my MB in it, plugged in the power cord, and WHAM ! Nothing at all. I am going to try my 300W next, because I know it works (I am using the system it is on right now). If still have no results, do you have any suggestions ? The 400W won't even power up by itself. I had this problem with a 400W, but the interesting thing was that it just started working all of the sudden. I didn't do anything to it (though I wanted to, BELIEVE ME !), and it was miraculously functional.

Ok, blabbed on long enough. Thanks for your input !

Helixx ~

S

·
0 Posts
Well it has to be connected to the motherboard in order for it to power up. Check the little voltage switch on the back of the power supply and make sure it's set to 110 or 115 whichever the case may be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Of course...it WAS connected to the motherboard. And the voltage was automatically set to 115, US Standard.

S

·
0 Posts
I just re-read your first post and there is something I don't understand. You say you had to get adapter to hook up your video. In the link you gave it says it has a VGA connector on the board so I don't understand why you should need an adapter of any sort? Could you check the version number on your board?

I/O Interface
Back Panel I/O Ports
- PS/2 keyboard and mouse connectors
- Dual USB Ports and a LAN connector
- One EPP/ECP mode parallel port
- One 16550 high-speed serial I/O port
- One VGA connector
- Audio ports (Mic, Audio-in, Audio-out and game port)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was what was SO bizarre !! There were two ports for VGA, but both were MALE.

I couldn't plug my monitor cable into it. :-(

Confusion resolved ?

I still haven't tried my Known-To-Be-Working power supply on the board in the new case yet.

I'll post the update when I do. Maybe I will even have video ! :rolleyes:

Thanks, Speedo.

Helixx ~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still haven't gotten to it. Complications with gestational diabetes during this pregnancy (I am almost 8 months ! WOOHOO !)... :clap:

Will update when I can.

Helixx ~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.