Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The native resolution of my monitor is 1600x900. Whenever I attempt to use a lower resolution than that (either with desktop display settings or when running a game in fullscreen), it always causes black letterboxes.

What I would LIKE to have happen would be to choose a lower resolution, and have it stretch across the screen. Ie, if I run a game fullscreen in 800x450, it would scale up to fit the full 1600x900 screen.

I'm not sure if this is a problem with my computer or if this is something to do with my monitor.

Here's the specs:
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
AMD Athlon II x4 2.8 GHz
3GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5700
Monitor: Dell ST2010

I think that should be all the relevant info, but tell me if you need more.

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
There's nothing wrong. 800 x 450 will leave a black border all the way round on a screen which is designed for 1600 x 900. You cannot "scale it up" to fill the screen. Only by running at the native resolution will the image fill the screen.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's confusing me is that my old laptop did exactly what I described I want to happen. Of course it wouldn't be a pixel-perfect scaling (not mathematically possible, I know.), but I could use non-native resolutions and fill the screen with them. But now that laptop's dead and I got a desktop, and the desktop does the letterbox thing. Why did the laptop support non-native resolutions when my desktop doesn't?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Comparing a laptop display to a 20" widescreen display is apples and oranges.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.