Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I've just recently started getting your sysyem is low in virtual memory messages. And many programs will crash when this message appears.

I looked in the help and it suggests increasing your paginig file to ideally 1.5 times your ram. Well my ram is 256mb ddr and the paging file was already 384mb with a maximum of 768mb. I've put it up to 512 and a max of 1024 now. I have 4gb free on my o/s drive.

It's still running ****. I note there is an option that says system controlled paging file. Shall i choose this option instead?

I've done a defrag, reg clean and scandisk already.

Mark

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
First off, unless you have a very good reason not to, let the system manage the paging file. While Microsoft doesn't always get it right, they know more about the internals of the O/S than either of us. :rolleyes:

You might want to try defragging your pagefile and registry. PageDefrag is a free tool to do just that, you can't do it with the normal system defrag. While you're over there, you might check out some of their other free utilities, some useful stuff. :)

Finally, depending on how bit your system partition is, you may need to allocate more space for it. Even though it appears you have plenty of space, W2K/XP likes to have 20-30% of the system partition free, especially when defragging.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've also found by recreating the pagefile.sys that it eliminates that error message to. You may wanna try that!

TC

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"I've also found by recreating the pagefile.sys that it eliminates that error message to"

How do I do that then mate?

Oh and cheers Johnwill will try PageDefrag.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.