Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our harddrive nearly filled up entirely overnight between 8-27-03 and 8-28-03 (74.50GB with 74.09GB used and .041GB free now) and we now receive the message "!Low disk space. You are running out of disk space on local disk (C:)."
We ran McAfee and Symantec virus scans on 8-28-03 and nothing was found.

Please help! Do we have a virus or a worm?

Under task manager, system idle process is using between 90-95% CPU all the time. Is this normal?

Please email [email protected] directly, too, because our system is very slow and access to this board is difficult.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Nothing wrong with System Idle using most of the time, it means your system isn't doing anything. :)

You certainly have something going on, I think you need to do a CHKDSK /F first and see if you have corruption on the disk. Then, if the space is still gone, you need to find out where all the capacity is being used, perhaps the files will give a clue as to what is happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
McVSEscn.exe writing .tmp files!!!

When I looked at the task manager, there was a process called McVSEscn.exe that was writing .tmp files (such as McV13.tmp) and the files kept growing and growing until I stopped the McVSEscn.exe process from running. I think it was McAfee's Virus Scan??!!! Is this possible. I deleted McAfee and reinstalled and deleted all the .tmp files.....

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm not sure what that process is, but it sounds like the one that was doing the damage. :) How's it working now that you've re-installed?

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Looks like that process is for a new feature in Mcafee called "wormstopper"

See if you can disable this thru the Mcafee software. Apparently Mcafee is having problems with this. Check their site often for possible patches

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Killed McVSEscn.exe

Once I was able to use the Task Manager to stop the McVSEscn.exe program, I could delete the .tmp files it was writing to and uninstall McAfee. I reinstalled McAfee and haven't had a problem since, but I'm keeping an eye on it...Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would get rid of Mcafee and download AVG...it's free and takes up less resources. You need to do a google search on how to get rid of McAfee.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Umm Hi the same thing is happening to me. But i don't have that virus scanner. I also have no idea what to do about it. I Ran the chkdsk thing i also did a disk clean up and a umm defragment and it says i have 15gigs free but when i went to the c drive and looked it said i only have 5 gigs free and then it slowly goes down. Like that was ealir this morning and now it's at 4.63 gigs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.