Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Dell 8250 originally came with a Nvidia GeForce 4 MX420 graphics card. It seemed to have driver troubles; & I wasn't that thrilled with the display, so Dell sent me an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.

This one provides an absolute beautiful display (from standard apps to web surfing to photo editing to graphics & illustrations), but has an onboard fan that whistles full time.

Now I've noticed, whenever I work in audio (SONAR & WaveLab); & my speakers are cranking, when the music stops, there are harmonics that are generated somewhere in the system, which are quite loud. After 45 seconds or so, they subside...& what is left is the typical fan sound on the new graphics card. This never happened with the GeForce, so I am assuming the harmonics are being generated within the Radeon?

My question is:

Is there a graphics card out there which is capable of producing a high quality picture (I have an M992, 19" CRT), but that is not noisy?

I guess I'm looking for the best of both worlds...to be able to work in high-end audio apps; & have a quality display without a lot of noise. Anything fit that bill?

Thanks in advance,

mark4man

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 128mb and it's awesome!!! I also have it in a Dell 8100 and it's not noisy at all.... It give you comparable performance to the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro.... But if you really want performance try the new GeForce FX 5600 256mb...

·
Registered
48 Posts
well i personally don't think that fx5600 is really worth it... at least not for now...
wayyyy too expensive for the time being... like over $800 CDN (is it close to $900?) when comparing to a ti4600, which does excellent job for gaming and stuff... i just wouldn't think about it even if i do have the $$...

well.. unless ur a fanatic... and have to have the absolute crazy stuff... AND have tons of dough in ur hands... go buy it...

ps. can i have some of that dough if u gonna buy one?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yeah it's kinda expensive, but wouldn't you want to say that you have one??? I would!!!:D And you could get a water down one from PCmall for about $200... LOL...:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
What you're describing sounds like resonance to me:

4. ACOUSTICS, MUSIC ringing quality of an instrument or voice: an amplification of a sound, for example, that of an instrument or the human voice, caused by sympathetic vibration in a chamber such as an auditorium or a singer’s chest
5. PHYSICS large oscillation at a natural frequency: increased amplitude of oscillation of a mechanical system when it is subjected to vibration from another source at or near its own natural frequency
(Encarta® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1999,2000 Microsoft)

Anyway, all of that gobledygook aside, there may be a much cheaper solution to your problem. You can change the "natural frequency" of your fan by changing the thickness / shape of the fan blades. However, I have never heard of people having problems with a "resonating fan", that just most closely matches the description.

Another possibility is that the vibrations from the loud music knocks the fan off center, causing it to vibrate as well. I had a similar problem with a CPU fan, though the noise was either randomly there or not there, and not caused by music. The solution? A new fan. I dunno, can people get replacement fans for Video cards?

- Valacosa

P.S.> The fan on my Ti4600 doesn't bother me at all, though I wish I could get the capture drivers working in Win2K...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Valacosa,

Believe it or not, I isolated it to the monitor (Dell M992 19" CRT.)

It's resonataing (as you suggested) from my speaker output. I found it by singing loudly in front of the PC, stopping suddenly; & listening to the various components (which my wife found to be very weird.)

Now though, I'm not sure what to do about that...short of rearranging my studio.

Thanks,

mark4man

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.