Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just purchased all the parts for my computer. All the info is in my signature. Anyway when i first built the computer it was quiet when on. But now its loud!

The cpu fan makes a weird noise when idleing. I know it gets loud when it thinks but the noise i'm talking about is when its just sitting there. The CPU fan makes a rhythmic noise of loud quiet loud quiet, every half second.

I dont know if I have AMD cool n quiet on, you have any ideas on how to ge the fan to run steady and quiet?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
my cpu fan did this once too, but that was before the whole CPU and heat sink fell off the brackets.. :upset: but it could be a sign your fan is going. if it's a standard plastic fan it depends on how long they'll last, but they should last a good long while. also in my experience alot of moving and jarring of the system such as moving to go to a lan party or something or perhaps if your case is on wheels and you're vacuuming the floor you may accidentally hit the case and jerk it suddenly, but i doubt it would be hard enuff to knock a case fan especially a CPU fan which is essentially clamped down. i'd check the fan to make sure it's not loose in any way, also take mind to clear any dust out that may be in there and make sure the fan is clean. other than that i'd say one of the Fan Xperts will drop by and have a word. but that's about all i can put in for words. hope it helps even it's it's a little help :smile:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It could be a failing fan bearing but open up the case first and check that you don't have a power cable just making contact with the fan. This will produce a similar sound to the one you describe. If it is then just use some ties and tidy up the cabling.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

Get a can of air and blow that thing out.... I am betting on the suggestion that it might be a dust problem that is telling that fan it is hot, then it is not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

Get a can of air and blow that thing out.... I am betting on the suggestion that it might be a dust problem that is telling that fan it is hot, then it is not.
I built the computer less than a month ago, still think the fans going out?

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

No way to know, but a month can have a fan go out, cause a bad dust build up, just many things. It depends upon so many things, hard to say exactly. I would try the dust thing first, then when the case is open, visually check things. One other cause is a wire too close to the fan and stopping it from spinning properly, ribbon cables restricting air flow by being too close to the CPU, just check that area to see if something is restricting the air flow which makes the sensor think the CPU is hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Be very careful with wires - I had a side case fan that shredded the wires that power the HDDs ect..

Two of them connected and killed my PSU >.<

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.