Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Sony Vaio VPCEB3F4E has been freezing when i'm watching internet video. I have done a full system restore but when i was watching Netflix today it froze again several times. This has happened on both chrome and internet explorer. I feel like it may be an issue with Silverlight but unsure as to diagnose the problem?

I appreciate any help which can be given.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Hello Welcome to TSF!!! Clean out all dust out of any air vents on the side and under the laptop with a can of air. Update all drivers Graphics, Audio, and wifi adapter from the manufacture of your computer's website. Update Silverlight and Adobe Flash Player.

Also if the laptop is not under warranty if possible take off the panel underneath the laptop and clean out any dust around the heat sync. Your issues could be an over heating problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Welcome to TSF!!! Clean out all dust out of any air vents on the side and under the laptop with a can of air. Update all drivers Graphics, Audio, and wifi adapter from the manufacture of your computer's website. Update Silverlight and Adobe Flash Player.

Also if the laptop is not under warranty if possible take off the panel underneath the laptop and clean out any dust around the heat sync. Your issues could be an over heating problem.
I've cleaned the vents already, and installed Coretemp. The temperature rarely goes over 65 degrees so i'm not sure its an overheating issue. I had installed all the windows updates would that have updated the drivers etc?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Where did you download the drivers from? Adobe Flash Player can not be downloaded from Windows updates. It has to be updated from here Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

Also I have to ask what do you mean by freezing does the streaming video freeze or does Windows the whole computer freeze?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where did you download the drivers from? Adobe Flash Player can not be downloaded from Windows updates. It has to be updated from here Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

Also I have to ask what do you mean by freezing does the streaming video freeze or does Windows the whole computer freeze?
Yeah i had to download Adobe directly and silverlight directly but everything else came from windows update. The streaming video will freeze, and the whole computer will freeze. No reaction from the keyboard or mouse and no reaction from Ctrl, alt + Del. Have to hold the power button until the system turns off. It also locks up like this sometimes when just scrolling through webpages.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,685 Posts
Ditto on Jack's analysis. Heat problem.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Yes Coretemp can be telling you a false temp. Try HWmonitor stream video youtube or netflix (under load) then open Coretemp or HWmonitor then look at the temps.

Edit: Laptops can be known for over heating issues because of the lack of space inside for air flow. This is why I suggested to see if the cpu and heat sync is accessible by taking off the panel underneath the laptop. There could still be dust that is restricting air flow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Coretemp can be telling you a false temp. Try HWmonitor stream video youtube or netflix (under load) then open Coretemp or HWmonitor then look at the temps.

Edit: Laptops can be known for over heating issues because of the lack of space inside for air flow. This is why I suggested to see if the cpu and heat sync is accessible by taking off the panel underneath the laptop. There could still be dust that is restricting air flow.
would this require replacing the thermal paste, and cleaning the old paste off etc? Not too sure how comfortable id be in doing this....

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
You don't have to remove anything just clean any dust around the heat sync and around it if any is present if the heat sync and cpu area is accessible. Also either use HWmonitor or Coretemp under load using youtube or Netfilx check the temps when running those programs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Ditto on Jack's analysis. Heat problem.
You don't have to remove anything just clean any dust around the heat sync and around it if any is present if the heat sync and cpu area is accessible. Also either use HWmonitor or Coretemp under load using youtube or Netfilx check the temps when running those programs.
Ok i took the cover off, gave it a full clean with canned air. However the problem still exists. As i type this with netflix on in the background the audio is freezing slightly. I clicked to proceed to the next episode and it locked up with the circle spinning but no movement in the mouse, keyboard etc. Any other ideas?

EDIT: the temperatures are around 55-65 degrees and it doesn't feel that warms at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Can you post a screenshot of HWmonitor with netflix running please.
This is just after it crashing and me turning it back on and playing for 5 minutes. The laptop really doesn't feel warm at all. I notice that the power jumps around on HWMonitor but this is normal right?

When i visited my local Maplin store to purchase a can of compressed air, the guy suggested it could maybe be a timing error between the two sticks of RAM or an issue with the Video Card (Intel HD Graphics card)

EDIT: Here is a video of what is happening when it freezes, the noise coming from the speakers and the unresponsiveness of the laptop
Video

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,685 Posts
A couple of things:
1. Would like to see Temp check by bios
2. Sounds like a short or possibly the guys idea of incompatible RAM
3. See what happens if you disable McAfee

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you change any RAM settings via BIOS? How many modules do you have in which slots?
No nothing changed! When u say modules what do u mean? This really isn't my area of expertise. But there is 2 sticks of RAM in the only two available slots. Both Kingston sticks of 1GB each.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.