Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just coming off of panic mode. Thank goodness I backed up this morning off schedule. I am posting because I need advice of what might be causing this.

First
Running Vista Home Premium German (sorry I am just a user, not in geek at least when it comes to Windows)
I tried to install Service pack 1 yesterday but it was taking so long as if it were hanging, so I clicked cancel and then the progress bar filled up anyway and it is listed as installed unsuccessfully. I think it left an irritant in the system...

Hardware
Samsung laptop (NP R55) duo-core 1.6 GHz, 2 MB RAM, bought March 2007 - heavy use in relatively dusty environment. Sometimes overheats (?) and switches off automatically when running video files (e.g., youtube, DVDs)

Symptoms

Yesterday (and probably after the failed service pack install), I woke the laptop up from sleep and it beeped very loudly I believe twice but the machine worked. During an evening of work, I put it to sleep and woke it up several times without problems. I worked all this morning without problems. Put it to sleep for lunch, came back, tried to wake it up and it beeped loudly twice and hung before even getting to the cursor. Restarting several times, got the same beep and not even the welcome window. Panic Panic. (lots of deadlines!). Turned it off, got on very old Mac to google for help, signed up on this forum, spent 10 min trying to find backup disks (found!). Started it to see if it would work - yeah! It came on (though complained about not being shut down properly) without a beep.

Ok soooo can anyone tell me what the beeps meant? Is something dying? Is it an overheating issue? I have the feeling I really should buy a backup box just in case, but there's that stupid €€€ issue.

Thanks in advance!

Kashida (in Germany btw)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does no one have any advice for me???

I worked all evening and turned it off. This morning it started fine, read my mail, put it to sleep, came back an hour later and now the whole thing has started gain.

It gives 1 long beep and 2 short beeps and will not start up the recover disk :(((

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey,
Multiple beeps at startup means the POST (Power On Self Test) has failed.
What BIOS do you have?
AST:
The video adapter has probably failed. Replace the video adapter
AMI:
An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered
AWARD:
Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.
etc.
All of them can be found at http://www.bioscentral.com

Yes, it could be an overheating problem. Using the recovery disk is useless here, your data is (most likely) not lost.
Please list all of your hardware so an expert can help you with it :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a can of air and spray it in to you're vents, keep it clean. apart from that, either your LCD screen is/had died/ dying or your video card is/has died.
If your lucky its a video driver issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Jay and BV!!!

I found something called a beep list which says that these beeps may have something to do with the video adapter (argh since yesterday my p key doesn't work - have to copy and paste ps). I think that overheating has something to do with it because if I put this thing to sleep or shut it down and then turn it back on again, the problems start. I have to wait several hours and then I can turn it on and everything works. I don't dare turn this thing off now until I know that it can sit for several hours without me needing it.

I do not know how to find out what kind of BIOS I have or what kind of hardware I have (except that I have a Samsung (NP R55) duo-core 1.6 GHz, 2 MB RAM). I have never opened up a laptop before. I bought a new laptop yesterday and have started configuring it and installing everything anew and trying to figure out how to get Mozy to give me back my backups without it costing me more money. As soon as I am completely on the new machine, I will take it back to the store - it is theoretically still under warranty.

I have a can of compressed air for my very old non-computerized sewing machine :))) but it seems like it condenses a bit on hot electronic things. Is that ok?

Could all of this have anything to do with the failed attempt to install Service pack 1?

·
Registered
77 Posts
A failing Power On Self Test has nothing to do with software on a computer because, while the BIOS is doing the test, it didn't load any software on your HDD yet. So the failed SP1 install couldn't have anything to do with it.

Are you able to boot the computer? If so, you could download a program like Speedfan:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan435.exe

Run the program when the computer just started and look at the temperatures it gives you. Don't close it and have a look after some hours and see what temperatures it gives you then (you could post them :))
If you really have overheating problems, you should bring the computer back to the store and it's not recommended to use it as it could damage your system.
They may not give you a product with overheating problems; bring it back to the store. A failing POST IS a hardware problem, so they need to give you warranty for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi BV

I can boot when it has cooled down (putting it next to an open window seems to speed up the cool down :) ). Once it has booted, I can work for quite a while though if I do anything with video it can shutdown after awhile. I don't dare put it to sleep. I have transferred everything of importance to the new machine and a friend will take me back to the store next week when we have time - I still have 6 months left on the warranty - I should have taken it before it got to this point but of course when there are no breaks in work - there is no good time...

I will report as soon as I find out what the deal is

Bedankt!

Kashida

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.