Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed latest version of realplayer. Lost thumbnail view of avi files. Mpg thumbnails ok. Can change avi file extension to mpg & thumbnail appears on file again.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Welcome to the board,

Your file associations have been messed up. Try this:

1) Right Click once on any of the problem .avi files
2) Choose "Open With.. "
3) "Choose Program" (At the bottom)
4) Select the program you want the avi's opened with (Media Player,etc.)
5)Check the box at the bottom that says "Always use this program to open the selected file type" (or something close to that)
6)Then refresh your view and the thumbnails should be back :)

Let me know how it goes. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lost thumbnails

Thanks for the help, but the suggestion didn't work. I read of this same problem on another forum. One user said he had found a solution in copying some files from another computer on which the thumbnails worked. Didn't give file names. Has not replied.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee: hmm. (Strike 1)

What OS are your using also what program are you making the default program to open the .avi files, and last do they open when clicked?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using WindowsXP home. All mpg, asf, & wmv files display thumbnails. Just the avi won't display.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Will the .avi's play when double clicked on?
What is it showing in place of the preview? / Are you saying it wont show up under the Details Heading in the little box to the left or that it wont show up as big thumbnails in the main area?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Fred, if you can- provide a screen shot of where the thumbnail should be. I think the tech is on top of it but that would clear any confusion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
avi's play when clicked on. Media player icon instead of thumbnail in main part of page. Just file info in display box on bottom left.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't know how to send pic of screen. Print screen goes into a word file, & can't send on forum. If I can paste print screen to another place which converts to file I can send, let me know. If you want it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ok, try this go into your Window Media Player

select : Tools > Options > File Types > then verify that "Video File" is checked.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:crying: ok,

....tag JAMMAN's it.

I am afraid that I don't have anymore suggestions on this matter, maybe its the late hour or something Ill keep thinking about it and if I come up with anything Ill let you know... In the meantime I'm sure JAMMAN would like to take a shot at it :)

Try looking through the Help & Support section and browsing Microsoft's help articles..

Note: I'm not really all that good with A/V problems it appears. X(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all your help. I didn't find anything relating to thumbnails on the microsoft site. I'll keep plugging along with this problem, & yes it is late.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
GOT IT

In the registry make sure the following key exists:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:coffee:

Start > Run > "regedit.exe"

Be careful in there and modify only that one line, making a mistake turns your system into a paperweight.

Before editing the registry you may want to back it up, once your in regedit, goto File > Export > then select a directory and file you can remember in case things go bad. The key I gave you will however fix the problem, but backing up before ANY modification of the registry is just a good thing to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
in registry, HKEY_classes-root I'm down to the avi. I looked further down to the mpg files. Is the shellex file supposed to be in the avi file exactly as it is in the mpg file? If so, how do I get it there? Shellex file is not in the avi files, at least not the way it is in the mpg files.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yes, it should be the same, in what way does the the location of shellex differ from the .avi branch to the .mpg branch?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.