Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This computer has only one account so that I can start it up or restart it and walk out of the room and it is ready when I get back.
I have lost my Temporary Internet Files folder, i.e.
C:\Documents and Settings\name\Local Settings\"folder should be here"

For some reason the folder moved to inside the Temp file and when I tried to move the folder back where it belonged it just disappeared. I searched “Temporary Internet Files” and all the other folders are empty and not used.

Everything works fine, except when I try to download a program like Opera that puts a install file in the Temporary Internet Files folder windows gives me an error telling me to find where the install file is. Thus I cannot update or get programs like Opera that use this method of installing on the computer. Searching for these install files shows that they are not on the computer.

How can I get my Temporary Internet Files folder back?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Correction...please forgive my ignorance but there is two problems here that I found at the same time and in my flustration combined.

1) The Temporary Internet Files folder does not show any more. I found it in the Temp folder and tried to move it with two copies of My Computer (Windows Key+E) whereupon it promptly disappeared. It must be there although it does not show as I can empty it and everything works.

2) Any program that has an install file will no longer work on this computer. I get a error showing me that the file should be in the Temp folder. A search will not find the install file anywhere.
I will start a new thread on this in the future.

Sorry :embarased about the newbe mistake, please forgive me.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Try Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk cleanup. After it loads,click on and highlight Temporary Internet Files and then click View Files. That should open the Content IE5 folder and show all the numbered folders inside. Open the explorer tree by clicking on the folder button by the address bar.That should show the path to where the folder is.
T.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the effort. That does show where it is but it still does not appear as a visable file and it is not a hidden file. I've showing all hidden files anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.